• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Update on Champ: Could be graphic...

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
4 days ago, this little tegu was eating his eating pinky mice on a dinner plate. The damn cat ran in, grabbed him, and ran off. I chased the cat around the house trying to get the cat to let go. 4-5 mins later, I found him.

This tegu had teeth marks in his back, stomach, and tail. The stomach was the most series because it penetrated all layers of skin, whereas the tail and the back where just little bite holes.

I decided to name him Champ because after 4 days of recovery, hes doing just fine. Hes alert and enjoys basking still. Hes ate a little, but I'm to afraid to give him big food (pinkies) with the stomach wound. I do have a feeling his tail will drop because of the shape its in. I'm lucky hes still alive. You can read the other post "New colombian tegu video" to read the story.

Notice the scab on his belly.
DSC00675.jpg

Back wounds
DSC00682.jpg

and the tail. The picture makes it look worse than it is.
DSC00674.jpg

but hes hangin in there like a Champ!
DSC00679.jpg

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
nah before his mauling he was doing great. ate daily for me. had him eating crickets, super worms, wax worms, and pinky mice. Only had him for 5 days until that happened.

homer

5 Year Member
why is there a cat around after only 5 days of owning your tegu? im not one to talk crap but that seems careless?

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
homer said:
why is there a cat around after only 5 days of owning your tegu? im not one to talk crap but that seems careless?

It was probably in the same room and he didn't notice the cat until it was to late. Rehab has been around for a while and from what I've gathered on him he would never mean for this to have happened or anything bad to any animal for that matter.

I've fed my tegu in the same room as two cats, although the tegu was on the kitchen table with the cats on the floor.

Anyways, hope the little guy pulls through for you Rehab! Fingers crossed that there isn't a infection inside his stomach from dirty cat teeth or something :fc

Spencer

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It amazes me how tough reptiles can be with injuries! Good luck with him, hope he keeps getting better.

jmiles50

5 Year Member
homer, I'm sure he know's that and there's no reason to make Ralphy feel worse than he already does :nono Things happen :!: Let's all just hope things work out for the little dude. Good luck Ralphy :fc

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dang Mike, sorry to hear about your little guy, I hope he pulls through.

As for the cat, bring him on down, we can school him with one of my giant males, and then see if he still wants to chase lizards. :plot

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
lol. I'm not offended. I have 2 cats, and adopted another one (my old ladies choice is cats). Well, I know that the 2 cats I originally had were fine around animals. My parrot likes to ride on one, and the other one loves tegus.

Its this dumb adopted one that got it. Guess I didnt really know this new cat well enough. As for the cat, hes with a friend now.

I appriciate all the warm comments. I really do think Champ will pull through.

Schnab

5 Year Member
:eek: !!

I'm glade to hear Champ is on the road to a good recovery. Poor little guy. I've always hated cats for their habbit of sometimes killing for fun.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Oh its not fun thier after, Its instinct. Cats are related to of course the Big Cat family Mt. Lions, Bob Cats, ect. We have just domesticated them to a certain extent. All wild animals have natural instincts no matter how hard we try to get rid of these instincts they will always be their in the back of the animals head. Alot of Big Cat attacks on humans is not the fact the animal being hungary its more of our movement on such things as bikes in the mountains or our poor climbing ability while hiking looks to them as injured prey or a good chase. Same with even Tegus, I have had prekilled mice in the enclosure with no interest to the tegu. I put a live mouse thats running around in the enclosure and it turns into dinner. Once again a sign of instinct.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Only thing that worries me is that he sleeps for 18-20 hours at a time, then basks for maybe only 2-4 hours. He has energy (runs around the cage if theres loud noises), but I'm thinkin hes still in hibernation mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980