• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tortoises?

Jer723

5 Year Member
hey guys, my dads birthday just passed and the new york expo is next weekend. and i know my dads wanted a tortoise real bad, and i want one too so i figured i might be able to get one at the expo, im just wondering whats your guys favorite? like my dad want a sulcata tortoise because it will become a monster and be our own personal lawn mower! lol but i think my mom would like something a bit smaller. maybe a russian tortoise or a greek tortoise? im not sure what tortoises stay fairly small, and dont cost too much? an input is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Jerry

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unless there's a compromise as a family pet decision, I would say go for what he wants. Tortoises are in it for the LONG term commitment. Even some of the smaller species live longer than 50 years not to mention the vet bills if needed. The Hermann's, Greek and Russians are really popular small tortoises ranging from 4" - 10" full grown. But if a 60 + lb Sulcata is what he wants go for it. I was just looking at some albino and leucistic ones on king snake before I saw this thread,...expensive, but very nice :mrgreen: .

Out of those I think the Greeks are the cutest (even though they are similar) especially the Golden Greek Tortoise. The first pet I brought my niece was a Greek she named Little Foot (From the Land Before Time) cutest lil thing ever. She's been stuck on turtles and tortoises ever since.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are usually some Torts in the last aisle on the left. Sulcatas do get big!! But it takes many years. You can keep them outside for a few months but them you'd need a large pen inside with heat and UVB for possibly 3 seasons. They don't do much but walk around and destroy things!

throneofjade

5 Year Member
I like greek, leopard, and sulcata tortoises. There are also ones that I believe are called star tortoises. They have a cool pattern.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu