• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Too Much feeding?

ageber

5 Year Member
help please, we have 3 tegus. each has their own enclosure. 2 are babies and 1 is about a year old. 1 black and white and 2 blues. all of them are fed outside their cages in large tupperware containers. They eat a variety of things but are very partial to frozen pinkies or fuzzies.

can they be overfed. they want to eat everyday. they eat several each and still appear hungry.

the other problem is as soon as they hear the sliding glass the come running to get out with mouth open. Our albino blue is constantly grabbing for my hand before she is out. Our baby blue lterally attacks my fingers. he will charge at me and jump to grab hold. Any ideas?

herper9

5 Year Member
I would read the caresheets that Bobby has put up on the homepage. Every single one of them will answer your current questions, also read the Tegu Food List, authored by PuffDragon. It's under Tegu Care Discussion. Great info!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Baby tegus eat alot!!! Theres very little chance thye will over eat. Mine little blue eats about one to two pinkies a day ontop of superworms (she pounds down about 10 to 20) this is a day. I mix it up with fish, ground turkey, fruites (which she won't touch). He has nothing to do with crix anymore. With the baby tegu you feed them as much as they will eat, they have to fule that growth.

As for the feed agression, you'd have to look at the care sheets. I take my tegus out everyday and have them either get handled or free roam. Its only after this time out of the cage that they are fed. That way they dont see my hand as being food time. You the albino it could be a sight thing, albino tegus tend to have vision problems so if your hand smells like food or moves like food there is a good chance it might strike.

ageber

5 Year Member
thank you for the info. i do handle them once i take them out although usually i am handling them after they eat.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ya i try not to handle younge tegus after they eat becuase they may throw it back up. I handle them before hand it also makes them realize that when i come to the cage its just to say hi most of the time... except latly Bosco my large blue male has been very gental taking food that his been feed by hand now. No joke i can put a mouse or rat in the plam of my hand and he come over and gentally takes it from my hands. He doesn't smack it against the walls or anything anymore. I took him to the vet to make sure he was doing alright and the vet said he was healthy... didnt help that Bosco doesnt like the vet office though.

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
Baby tegus eat alot!!! Theres very little chance thye will over eat.
i agree. I would feed them all they can eat. my b&w is 32" and during the summer i feed her all she will eat. this is also important if you hibernate your tegus (although blues and columbians dont hybernate) black and whites and reds should be well fed in case they slow down or go dormant in the cold season.

chris allen

5 Year Member
Hey Alan, my adult male will eat every day, but I feed him probably every other day. Its amazing how much they can eat! Growing babies forget about it, lol, I would just let them eat. What is the yearling female eating? How big is she?

We still need to chat, I think I emailed you my phone number, and I have yours. Ill try giving you a call maybe tomorrow after work?

chris

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just have to add that my baby blue today ate 2 pinkies, 1 fuzzy, 25 super worms and shes still hitting the worm bowl. Babys they eat alot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus