• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tips for picking out a Colombian

ebola

Hi, first post here and hopefully one of many, as I intend to get a tegu as my first large reptile. :D A local pet store has a Colombian Tegu for sale that I am interested in. I originally wanted and Argentine, but am debating this guy. They got it as an Argentine B/W but they think (seemed very unsure) it is Colombian because apparently it won't eat fruit, I have since researched how to tell the difference and will go in tomorrow to check.

They claim it has been in the shop for a year and a half, and was surrendered to them, so they have no idea how old it is. But the weird thing to me is its size. It looks healthy and well built, but I would say it is only about 16-18" long at most. If it is really at least a year and a half old shouldn't it be bigger? Is it stunted? I feel bad it is in a very small cage. What is a normal growth rate, or age for it to be full grown?

I don't want a full grown one, I actually want a hatchling, but of course I feel bad for this one and if they will come down on the price ($150, I discussed trading some things for store credit to help) I may get it. It seems mellow, the employee took it right out and we held it with only a little hissing and no fighting. She tried to take out a Savannah Monitor next, that was a little smaller, and couldn't even grab it-- it was aggressively trying to attack her ;)

Sorry for the long winded post, if anyone has any other tips for what I should check let me know! Thanks so much in advance!

ebola

I will definitely not pay $150, I would see if the owner will come down. We have a bunch of guinea pigs we were breeding and selling, now ready to get rid of the horrible things, considering a trade if the owner goes for it. Basically is the size ok? (if i get the price down) and anything else specific to look for in one stuck in a pet shop long term?

tjohnson722

I would get it checked by a vet. I have all my reptiles checked now.

Ask about what its been eating, if been handled, etc. The feeding will tell you a lot with whether or not its been halfway cared for. Since they need such a variety of foods. If its been fed strictly ground turkey, its probably lacking vitamins etc.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you can send some pictures that would really help. If the only reason they think its a Colombian because it doesn't eat fruit Arg tegus sometimes do not eat fruit until they are older.

For a year old if kept properly it should be at least two feet if its an Arg, for a Colombian it varies.

ebola

Thanks guys for the fast input. My wife went in yesterday and looked again, confirmed it is a Colombian for sure and was unimpressed by the owner telling her 9 months and from a breeder, vs the employee before saying 1.5 years from someone giving it up. So due to the conflict and excessively high price (don't think they will come down) we are going to pass. However it looks like I found a beautiful baby Red Tegu for a really good price! I'll definitely be posting it up if i get it! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff