• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

this could be a bad idea, any input?

BillieJeAn

i was thinking, what if i got a large hamster ball for my tegu, to allow him to get out of his cage and roam around without getting loose and hurting himself. would this work?

Kebechet

RE: this could be a bad idea, any imput?

BillieJeAn said:
i was thinking, what if i got a large hamster ball for my tegu, to allow him to get out of his cage and roam around without getting loose and hurting himself. would this work?

The first input that I have, is that it's "input" not "imput" :) the second bit is that I've never heard of anyone putting their tegu in a hamster ball. However, if there is one big enough, you could try it out. Just be sure that there is enough small holes in it for proper ventilation, and that it's sturdy.

BillieJeAn

lol i corrected it ^_^
They sell Ferret balls and Guinea pig balls, so im sure i can find one large enough, i'll have to look at the holes though

TeguLouie

i really wouldnt suggest it, not because i am a tegu expert or anything, but i have two guinea pigs and they broke the one i got for them in about 2 months. those things are really cheap plastic and held together by 4 tiny screws. plus the vent holes or more like slits and would remind me of a cheese grater for your Gu's toes.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I considered doing this for my box turtle Bernie when he was overweight. I thought it'd be a good way for him to get exercise without getting into trouble. I asked the vet what he thought and he just stared at me like I was insane, lol. Can't hurt to try it. Keep us updated.

BillieJeAn

this guy needs out somehow though, and i cant handle him, if i let him loose he's gone for good.
so i guess i'll try, but watch pretty closely. hopefully it works, but if not i'll try something else

jdpFL

Have you ever seen the wire cages with no bottoms that they put puppies in? Or you could try some enrichment type stuff, hide treats, etc.

babyyitslove

Billie, put some gloves on, take him into the bathroom and put him in the tub for a bath. He will swim around with the right amount of water and just make sure you have the door shut so he can't get loose if he jumps out of the tub.

BillieJeAn

i've been trying to get him out, but every time the tank gets opened, he trys to make an escape :/. as soon as i'm finsihed cleaning around the house i WILL try that some more

but do you think he could easily jump out of the bath?
jdpFL said:
Can you handle him enough to get him in and out?

nope, i try, but its quite an ordeal, i do on occasion get lucky enough to catch him and handle him. but not without getting bitten

jdpFL

Hm. Our B&W doesn't get out of the tub...can't get traction on the sides...but then, he's not really trying to get out. He loves the tub, especially when you splash him...lol.
So you'll just use gloves then, and hope he settles down?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I doubt he could get out of the tub, my AA is about 43" and just started to be able to get out. With the hamster ball, I would be afraid one of his nails would get caught in the vents and rip off. I agree with getting a pair of gloves and taking him out and put him in the tub.

babyyitslove

Billie, add me on Facebook so you can access the video I uploaded of me handling Ganja today.

LINDSEY R. PEREZ-LOPEZ

I can't log into my YouTube account for some reason.

Neither my juvi columbian nor my adult Argentine can get out of the tub, but I have also seen my columbian get a sudden burst of energy and literally bounce off of walls. LOL.

Tie up the curtain and shut the door. Give him about 4 inches deep of water and watch him swim out all of his pent up energy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff