• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus

pionusparrots28

I don't really have local pet shops, I live in the country and there's not much around here. Going to rep shows is over a 3 hour drive from where I am. That is why I try to order my animals, or people often just give me their animals. I do a sort of rescue thing and I get a lot of animals that way. Once, I even got a Caiman for awhile. I re-homed it to a very good zoo because at that time I had 5 savs and a few white throats, and some other animals. I always keep the animals I get in till they are super healthy and tame and I find a good home. I have never come across a tegu before so I was interested and no one at my rep shows had any so i found this place. Lol. Maybe I'll just have to keep looking for people that don't want theirs. Lol.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they haven't already in some places, more will be popping up here really soon on sites like kingsnake and fauna classifieds as well as reptile shows. This is around the same time I got Mila almost two years ago. I actually got her in march but there were others available before that.

There's also local classifieds in your surounding area depending on how far you're willing to go.

tjohnson722

I found reptilestogo.com. I actually called, spoke with the guy. He said they are being bred and hatched in Paraguay (his) and I just shoot him an email to reserve one. He said they will be in next week, and are imported. Still cbb just imported.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

tjohnson722

What's the difference?

Disregard, I googled it. I've actually never heard the phrase farmed. Wow. Looks like its wait until June...... Boo.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just didn't want you to think you were getting something you weren't.

tjohnson722

I read that they are usually parasite infested. I'm scared of that bc of a motley Boa who died from parasites, and other things. I'm just in a bind bc my kids have already been told we were getting one. Now I can't until summer and my kids are awesome.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can have the one tegublake has for sale if he can figure out how to ship.

tjohnson722

I've never shipped either. Lol. Nothing I've wanted animal wise has never needed to be shipped. Snakes are so readily available everywhere lol. You guys must be very patient. This Tegu never available until summer issue is testing my crazy meds lol.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All the Colombians are farmed in the US, too. Most of the big breeders farm to an extent, then incubate the eggs. It is the interaction with the hatchlings that makes a difference, in my opinion.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What do you mean by farmed in the US? Are you saying the farms are in the US?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Explain what cbb and farmed mean.I'm getting confused. Captive born/bred? Vs what? Don't they both mean they breed pairs or groups with each other then incubate the eggs? Sorry if I'm being stupid. I enjoy knowledge:)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
CBB is captive bred and born meaning from captive parents. The entire process takes place in captivity.

Farmed is generally large farms in or near the animals native land where the animals are usually poorly kept to just produce babies. They will often have parasites and not be very well cared for.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, Colombians are/were farmed in S FL, as were ameivas and iguanas. And I heard there were some in TX if they still exist. early breeders set up loose farms and collected the offspring.

Farmed has the idea that groups are set up in area and the offspring are collected. They are sort of a blend of CB and WC, but not caught from their habitat and imported like WC implies.

Lizardman

Ok I need some quick help.
Ok I just bought a columbian b/w tegu today and when I got him home I just notices some things that raise concern with me.

His back legs look swollen and were his foot and legs meet it looks almost like a bubble or tumor. I have been Doin some research and I think it could be mbd but I would like someone to just clarify that is what it is. He also looks like the white is almost a brown color? I don't get on much so if u can help plz email me and let me no what it is and how to fix it properly. I don't no how to post pictures on here so f u can help I would b glad to send u pictures. I also think the tank set up that he is in has something to do with his problem and right now I am in the process of building a new tank

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Don't they get brownish if trying to shed sometimes? Or could it be a red and not a black and white? Also...i know mbd causes leg dragging etc but a bubble? Could that be an infection of some kind? I would say vet visit. Just to be safe. And plenty of humidity and warm baths. Also calcium and uvb stat. Hydrate orally with electrolytes in a syringe. But def want to see a vet. Oh...pics you click on post and reply then click on the little camera icon and select a pic.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029