• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus outside?

jmulley6

hello there,
I was just wondering if may people have issues with there tegu being tame outside? my year and a half old is very jumpy outside and likes to try to make a run for it. when I grab him he has a tendency to open his mouth at me and he bitten my shirt but missed me luckily. I have been trying to get him use to it in small batches, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I do keep him on a leash, he is fine with it inside but he does know how to get out of it when he feels like it..
just wondering if anyone has any tips
or if this will get better as he gets bigger.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've only had mine outside in a rubbermaid tub or in a dog kennel. I've noticed that when they're outside they're more active and I know if given the chance they'd bolt. Not sure what kind of leash and harness you have but petsmart (and others im sure) sells harnesses for rabbits, rats and ferrets. Those seem to be a bit more difficult to get off. One of the ones I have has to slip over the head and the tegus front legs have to be pulled into a leg opening. I have another that velcros but it seems to be really easy for them to get out of.
I've heard of other people having issues or behavior changes when their tegus are outside, its probably something to do with their more natural instincts kicking in.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's normal Sensory Overload and they need time to adjust,.. just like when you brought your tegu home. Continue taking him outside for short periods of time. Every few days or once a week extend the amount of time you spend out there with him. He needs time to figure out the new and different elements of which some are constantly changing.

When inside the only thing he pretty much has to worry about is you but outside there's wa...y more to consider. Survival is #1 and when that's at stake it will make anyone and anything uneasy no matter what. Keep a towel or something with you,.. you can use it to pick him up when he's a little testy. Or give him something to hide in and watch things for a while until he's ready to come out on his own.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like stated above its their survival instincts kicking in, some tegus do very well out side here is a post i made last summer of my male and female outside they did very well when outside but i had another male and female who were much smaller that didnt fair to well when outside w/o a harness or a large tub

www.tegutalk.com/showthread.phptid=1095#axzz1K4tNiLRO

jmulley6

the harness I have now is a ferret one, it is difficult for him to get out of but far from impossible. I know that so it is really only there to slow him down. I would never leave him unattended if outside I just don't want him to be so jumpy the minute he sees the ground. Summer is getting near and I would like to bring him out on the deck for some sun with out fear of him bolting the second i step foot out there. This is the only time i have issues with him, he is good with transport as long as he can hide in my pocketbook. indoors hes fine until hes not getting attention then he insists on playing games like "O no I'm falling, mommy catch me" just to get attention. Good to know that it is normal, but he is still young so I hope he calms down a bit more.

thanks Bubblz I'll have to try that. I'll put him in his favorite bag and see if and when he'll come out. Hes been very unsure of things since we moved still not use to the new place so he always seems over loaded to an extent. I just hope he adjusts soon he also seems to have a nervous stomach :(

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When Mine was a hatchling I put him outside in a 6' round 300 gal Rubbermaid Tub. Because it has solid walls he could not see the surroundings, but did allow him to sell outside and enjoy natural sunlight. I think this slow introduction really helped mine get used to the outdoors...

Mines second summer I moved his enclosure outside onto my deck/balcony. This allowed him to both see and smell outside, but from the safety of his enclosure.

As his second summer moved on, I began letting him roam around the deck/balcony. He did great from the first time. After a while I secured the rail so I could let him roam the outdoor deck balcony 24/7.

It's too cold for him to stay out in the winter, but I keep mine outside on the deck/balcony as long as it is warm enough (approx May~September)...

Because he spends so much time outside, when we go free roaming outside he does not have sensory overload.

I understand not everyone has the opportunity to safely keep their Tegu outdoors, but I feel finding a way to slowly introduce him to outside really helps. A balance must be found. If he has several "bad experiences" when going outside he will learn that going outside yields bad experiences. But the only way for him to adapt to being outside is to go outside.

jmulley6

thanks. hopefully I can get a house soon where I can properly tegu proof it inside and a outdoor pen. poor little guy hates it here, as do I. we are temporarily in my inlaws basement to help them out. I know my baby is a good judge of character because he hates my mother in-law .. I try to let him roam as much as possible and iv upped his uvb due to the lack of windows. he still has watery stools on and off. just hope he adjusts soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan