• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu won't eat.

Mud Country

5 Year Member
So got got my Tegus about two monthes ago, I adopted a 4 year old arg b/w and a 3 year old red that have been together for at least 2 years. They have both hibernated every year until this year when I aquired them. Previously they had both been feeding in separate feeding bins, but since I've gotten them, the b/w hasn't eaten at all. The red eats like a pig, but the b/w isn't even shown interest in food. At first I thought he was in a semi active hibernation mode, but he is actually quite active in his enclosure.

I've tried numerous different food items, tried feeding in different locations, feeding bins, and in his enclosure. Different times of day. I'm not too sure how to proceed next as he appears to be loosing weight at this point. He is actively drinking, but that's about it.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I should try or how I should proceed from this point. I really don't want to resort to force feeding unless it's an absolute last resort. Any info you guys can provide would be hugely appreciated.

DRAGONQUEST1

5 Year Member
Hey mud country, no expert by any means but I got my B&W as a juvenile and the previous owner had fed only fresh dead hopper rats. He refused anything else for quite sometime. If you know what was being fed before, he will probably respond to that. Nephew is a reptile caretaker at Philadelphia zoo and said some of theirs can be picky if they have not seen it before. I have since got mine onto some turkey burger intermittently but he still likes his rodents.

Might help.

Mud Country

5 Year Member
His old owner sid she gave him a varied diet but she said he absolutely loves hard boiled eggs, but so far no dice.

I've tried snails, rodents, moose liver, eggs, chicken hearts and gizards, ground beef and various fruits and veggies.

His companion eats almost anything I offer her but for about three weeks after I got them she didn't eat either. I really hope he picks up soon. He hasn't lost a lot of weight but it seems a little more noticeable lately.

On the bright side he has calmed down qiute a bit and is much more handelable now.

DRAGONQUEST1

5 Year Member
Great effort on trying everything, probably thought of more things than I would have. Not a noticeable weight loss, maybe give it a little more time to settle in. I have had Monitors and Beardies for a long time and after a year all I have noticed is Black & Whites are just different from the rest.

Have a great day!

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
you could try reducing the temps and letting them hybernate. this will slow the metabolism so weight loss will not be as drastic. make sure the red tegu's gut and digestive track is empty before hybernating.

Mud Country

5 Year Member
I can't say the thought of forced hibernation hasn't occured to me but I was unsure if it would be safe on Tig as he hasn't eaten in such a long time, but his tail still has some girth to it. I guess was hoping that if they wanted to hibernate, they would just put themselves down, but I think it could be worth a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu