• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu has loose stool help?

mguy

5 Year Member
Ok so my tegus last 3 stools have been liquidly while his urarates have been normal could this be Parasites or Bacteria. i have some medicine from the vet one has Trimethoprim and Sodium Sulfadiazine the other has Metronidazole and Fenbendazole which one should I use. Oh he did have turkey the last feeding and Eggs before if that helps. And he has still been eating like his normal self.

lilgonz

You might try to feed some whole prey (mice, rats, chicks) depending on size and see if that helps. I would not start giving meds without first having a stool sample checked by a vet to confirm if there are parasites or anything issues that might need to be treated. **jmo***

G

Actually, it's the mice (or rats, depending on how large your tegu is) that should harden up his stool, not crickets and worms; it's the calcium they get from the bones, from what I understand.

G

I agree. I wouldn't start to worry just yet. I've read that a lot of tegus tend to get runny stool if they've been feeding on too much ground turkey/eggs. Just try to get him to eat some frozen (that you have thawed in warm water) mice or rats (once again, depending on the size of your tegu). And definitely keep us updated! ;)

mguy

5 Year Member
I dont know if this an update but he is barley crickets prefering superworms instead relevent or a sign that he is growing up? Oh and yes the last few days has diet was mainly turkey and eggs were used as a treat.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Loose or runny stool is common for my Tegu depending on his diet. Whole mice and chicks tend to give him firm stool... Ground Turkey seems to produce soft (but well formed) stool... eggs and fish tend to give him runny stool...

I never thought I'd ever offer such detailed explanations of poop...

As mentioned above, I definitely would not be too quick to start giving him medications without professional advice/guidance...

lilgonz

you should not be worried just yet, my tegus get loose stool when I feed them turkey/eggs, as he grow up he will begin to like crickets less and less, it is to much work for such little benefits...lol. This is normal behavior.

G

Toby_H said:
I never thought I'd ever offer such detailed explanations of poop...

I guess that's just one of the joys of sharing tegu-parenting experience... ;)

mguy

5 Year Member
Update I just picked up his poop and just like you guys said it is normal from the fuzzy that i gave him thanks for the help

lilgonz

glad to hear that it was not a real problem, feel free to ask questions anytime, there are always people on this forum that are willing to help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029