• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taxonomic Question

Chantel

It would seem as though there is a discrepancy in the true species name of Argentine/Colombian Tegus.

As per Wikipedia, there are 7 described species in the Genus Tupinambis, with the "Colombian" Tegu being described as Tupinambis teguixin and "Argentine" being described as Tupinambis merianae.

However, it would appear that "Argentine"(merianae) and "Colombian"(teguixin) Tegus have few morphological differences and that Merianae and Teguixin have distinct morphological differences.

This leads me to my question, are Colombian and Argentine Tegus distinct species and if so why do Colombians and Argentines look so different from Tupinambis Teguixin?

Just trying to understand exactly what species I keep, as it would not appear to be Tupinambis Teguixin but was sold under the common name Colombian Black & White.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I posted a similar response in another thread and your question's a bit confusing. Since Colombian Tegus (teguixin) are not classified the same as Argentines (Merianae). Therefore Colombians are Teguixin, they're the same. Argentines look different because they're not Teguixin but Merianae. Same genus or group but different species with similar traits.

Wiki is not a good reference even though some of the info on it is true their own disclaimer states, information on Wikipedia is contributed by anyone who wants to post material, and the expertise of the posters is not taken into consideration.
For basic info it maybe fine but it's just not something I reference.

A lot of animals can look the same or similar and be genetically different as well as in some cases not even compatible. Most of the confusion comes from retailers (and some consumers) not doing their research. Also from a retailers side not caring enough to find out or just trying to make more money. So they advertise and sell an animal as something it's not.

The Okapi just popped into my head, since my niece asked me a while back if I had seen the zebra giraffe hybrid. Seperate species and all, (and the giraffe being one of my favorite animals) I coudn't see it as being possible, petry dish or not. You can find pictures and info of it being labeled as such, even though it looks like it could be a hybrid, it's not. Its just a species related to the giraffe.

You can find old info that labels tegus all the same species, since there wasn't much known or research done. Even now we have more info with better technology. But few people if any using that technology to test and see what's truly what.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just to make it more confusing, the Argentine has been reclassified as genus Salvator and the Colombian has remained in the genus Tupinambis. Actually, I think that makes it less confusing.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Weird Laura. I can't believe I missed that thread but a quick google search gave me the links you posted. Interesting!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long