• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taming

Otis

I had my tegu for about 7 months and he doesn't try to bite me at all but when I try to pick him up he'll move away or sometimes breath hard at me. Any ideas on what I should do to fix this?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pet him when he's at rest, and also pick him up anyway but not from above, from underneath.

Otis

When you say at rest do you mean when he's laying under his heat lamp or underneath the bedding?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Easiest if you start with underneath the bedding. For instance, push some bedding away, pet him for a minute, so as not to startle him, then ease hands underneath for pick-up. Make sure very well supported so use both hands- front legs/belly with one, and base of tail with other. Can then put him on your lap.

Natural for them to be nervous at first when legs are off the ground. Can even move direcly to your chest/shoulder. For starters, go with lap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu