• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taking tegus outside

ccole93

I'm making another thread for another burning question! :D

Years ago I remember going to the Home Depot with my parents to get storm doors or something. We walked by an older couple with a six foot iguana perched in the basket of their cart. He was just chilling there, looking around at the people staring and mindful of his leash. He didn't mind when people petted him, including myself.

I know dragging my tegu to the hardware store is probably a bad idea, but do you guys bring yours on car rides or to the park? Mine's much too small right now for that to be a viable option but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks/does.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Know the laws in your area for exotics, especially in public places. You don't want to end up being cited or worse having your pet confiscated.

Johnnydr

I bring my Tegu out occasionally because she allows it and doesn't seem to stress her out. Now my roommates iguanas are different stories. I would not bring them out in public. It just depends on the animal.

ccole93

Yeah so many people could stress them out. The iguana looked pretty old, though. I'm gonna have to figure out what my town's specific laws are. It's really annoying. ._.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Bringing them in public situations without it being an education event is more for your benefit than yours and in my opinion puts the animal at risk. If it is some form of herp meeting or reptile education event then it is a different story. However, making them outdoor cages is beneficial for them as it gives them access to natural sun.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I was so excited when I got niles and brought him for car rides, to the store briefly...I brought him to a friends house too.I have a carrier and a 'pouch ' I made him from denim.my reasoning (and has been with my occasional snake outings too) is if it is an appropriate place such as pet store or other place that would allow a pet it is yes for my benefit to spend more time with him...for the animals benefit for enrichment/interaction purposes...and also I truly believe that it brings joy to others to be able to see an animal they wouldn't normally see unless going to a zoo etc.they can touch and see the creature and I always use caution ( for example no face or mouth touching) and I always explain a little about the animal to educate in some way. No I don't think a supermarket or other place would be good...and I wouldn't take them out unless the weather is beneficial to them either. And yes always use good judgement about safe interaction and stress level.I always provide a place to hide if needed and maintain full control and I never take an animal 'out ' for long extended periods...:)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
In my opinion NEVER bring a baby tegu in any kind of OPEN area that they could possibly escape from. They are fast and can become panicked and bolt.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I would agree with babies I guess...niles is wicked calm and never runs.also like I said has a pouch I held him in and he stayed kind of burrowed in there mostly...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu