• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

substrate question

fusionink

ok i've had my tegu for over a year he's doing great just wondering i was wanting to change his substrate, something a little cheaper. i currently use coco husk i find it the easiest for keeping humidity out of all i used. i heard people using peat moss but i've tried it with other lizards and had bad luck with it getting moldy. i guess what i'm wondering i've seen alot of people using cypress mulch and everywheres i look in my area dosn't have it they all have cedar mulch was wondering if this would work or should i keep searching for cypress?

Jefroka

5 Year Member
fusionink said:
ok i've had my tegu for over a year he's doing great just wondering i was wanting to change his substrate, something a little cheaper. i currently use coco husk i find it the easiest for keeping humidity out of all i used. i heard people using peat moss but i've tried it with other lizards and had bad luck with it getting moldy. i guess what i'm wondering i've seen alot of people using cypress mulch and everywheres i look in my area dosn't have it they all have cedar mulch was wondering if this would work or should i keep searching for cypress?

No cedar, it is apparently toxic to many animals including chickens and reptiles.

I use a mix of coco fiber, sphagnum moss, top soil, cypress (with the big stuff removed) and kiln dried horse bedding, which is pine. Regular pine is apparently not a good thing but kiln dried seems to be just fine and my gu is no worse for it.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029