• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stupid (to me) question

iiLOVExTEGUS

Ok I feel as if I should know this but do columbians hibernate because when I got mine I was told it was well first off I was told it was an argintenian tegu and that he always comes out ect ect but ever since he's been in his enclosure he's been in his hide not eating nor showing any sign of him being there so can anyone help with this problem AND I ALREADY KNOW THAT MY TEMPS ARE OK SO DON'T ASK!!!!!

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They slow down and or brumate but not hibernate. They can spend days sleeping and or hiding, come up to bask maybe eat and repeat.
Idk how long you have been waiting for an answer or trying to figure it out, :) but the search engine in the top right corner would have quickly answered it for you.

iiLOVExTEGUS

Not able to post pics because I'm using an I pad but I bought him from a person for 60 who said he originally paid 85 he said he was argintenian but after posting this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYnijzBpPgo&feature=youtube_gdata_player people here said he was columbian

Roadkill

5 Year Member
First, brumation IS hibernation. They are one and the same.

I've been told that Tupinambis teguixin don't hibernate/brumate, but I'm not so sure this is true. I don't have any hard evidence to back up my beliefs on this, but the more I've done research on reptilian hibernation, the more I'm convinced that under the right circumstances, nearly all reptiles will display some variant of depressed metabolism that can be linked to cooler temperatures. However, more specifically with the Colombians, what I can say is when I was doing research on tegu hibernation in Brasil, I was frequently in areas where T.teguixin were said to be present, and I can honestly say I never saw one during "winter". I have to admit, as a scientist, not seeing something doesn't mean much of anything, but it does make one think that if you're in an area where you have the two prominent species, one is said to hibernate, the other supposedly doesn't, you'd think during the winter you'd be more likely to see the one species.

kim86

How long have you had him for? He may be hiding because he's still scared and not used to his surroundings.

iiLOVExTEGUS

kim86 said:
How long have you had him for? He may be hiding because he's still scared and not used to his surroundings.

That's what I'm starting to think cuz I've only had him 3 weeks but him not eating is worrying me

kim86

Put a plate of food in his enclosure, with a towel underneath just to be safe. He will eat if he wants to and that way you aren't adding any stress by taking him out to feed.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
iiLOVExTEGUS said:
Not able to post pics because I'm using an I pad but I bought him from a person for 60 who said he originally paid 85 he said he was argintenian but after posting this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYnijzBpPgo&feature=youtube_gdata_player people here said he was columbian

Yep, that's a Colombian. Just wanted to make sure. When I bought Kodo, he was labeled as an Argentine, too.

iiLOVExTEGUS

dragonmetalhead said:
iiLOVExTEGUS said:

Yep, that's a Colombian. Just wanted to make sure. When I bought Kodo, he was labeled as an Argentine, too.

Yea in a way it's disappointing don't get me wrong columbian argentine red black and white whatever it doesn't matter to me but it sucks because I was under the impression that he was argentine and fairly tame

Lynda

[attachment=6209]
iiLOVExTEGUS said:

I post pics with my I pad...:cool: just did this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 8

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Roadkill said:
First, brumation IS hibernation. They are one and the same.

I've been told that Tupinambis teguixin don't hibernate/brumate, but I'm not so sure this is true. I don't have any hard evidence to back up my beliefs on this, but the more I've done research on reptilian hibernation, the more I'm convinced that under the right circumstances, nearly all reptiles will display some variant of depressed metabolism that can be linked to cooler temperatures. However, more specifically with the Colombians, what I can say is when I was doing research on tegu hibernation in Brasil, I was frequently in areas where T.teguixin were said to be present, and I can honestly say I never saw one during "winter". I have to admit, as a scientist, not seeing something doesn't mean much of anything, but it does make one think that if you're in an area where you have the two prominent species, one is said to hibernate, the other supposedly doesn't, you'd think during the winter you'd be more likely to see the one species.

Hibernate, brumate, estivate, dormancy even torpor,.. same difference. While plenty of people have experienced or heard of a B&W, Red or even Blue tegu hibernating (as the common definition and as most people see it), rarely is that the case with Colombians. I only say rarely because I remember either on this site or the other, someone claiming that their colombian did actually hibernate.

On a technical level the term hibernation should be used over anythng else regardless of the type of animal, location, metabolic changes or not. Since definitions change over the years as people learn more, (right or wrong) specific words are created to fit specific conditions or situations, when the other doesn't.

Same = Most animals that hibernate go through changes in preperation for and over the winter months.
Difference = is how the changes occur as well as what those changes and habits are. Which is where and why all the other terms were created.

There's more than one type of tomato or potato right, even pronunciations and uses for each, but they're still tomatoes and potatoes.

Whether or not you choose to use the different terms is personal preference really. When people actually do know the difference anyway :)

Roadkill

5 Year Member
You are correct, you can chose to use whatever term you want. Brumation or hibernation, doesn't matter, they're the same, but your statement
They slow down and or brumate but not hibernate.
indicates that brumation is different from hibernation. It isn't, they are the same. I bring this up because as people continue to use the terminology inaccurately, they promote confusion and wrong ideas. You aren't figuratively saying pomme de terre is just another expression for potato, you said a pomme de terre is NOT a potato. I think there's enough confusion around the issue, so I try to clear it up.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I thought brumate was a lighter 'hibernation ' meaning slowing/sleeping but still getting up periodically for food/water where hibernation was solid slumber with only rare exceptions from time to time to drink. My bats used to go into torpor :) i thought that was their special word ... ;)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont