• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Something stuck in throat?

Mr. Jiffy

Today my little guy started moving his body back and fourth like a snake that is finishing eating something, like he's having a hard time swallowing. I have had him about 2 months now and he has never done this before. He is eating hard boiled eggs without the shell (he likes to eat the shell last) and he is making weird crackling sounds while doing this. I have never heard it before and it's kind of freaking me out, just need to know if this is somewhat normal or if I need to see a vet.

marydd

My girl does this from time to time. Like they are wiggling down the food. As far as the cracking. ... Is it like his joints are cracking? I'm not sure on that one. I would not worry to much unless you notice any thing else unusual.

Mr. Jiffy

I saw a vet just to assure his safety, wasn't anything abnormal, maybe a piece of eggshell he didn't quite get down, but he's fine now, thanks

Jackie & Hellboy

Tegu's do this to swallow. monitor lizards do the same thing, its just their way of forcing down food by contracting those neck muscles. My red tegu will grab 4-5 grapes and after the last one is put in his mouth it's like he has the others still not fully swallowed so he does this same action.

Alliocha

Yeah, I also experience this for my black and white when he ate mice. I did not get confused with it because my snake does the same and it makes pretty much sense..

MakeyourIPATH

Today my little guy started moving his body back and fourth like a snake that is finishing eating something, like he's having a hard time swallowing. I have had him about 2 months now and he has never done this before. He is eating hard boiled eggs without the shell (he likes to eat the shell last) and he is making weird crackling sounds while doing this. I have never heard it before and it's kind of freaking me out, just need to know if this is somewhat normal or if I need to see a vet.

Keep clear of lose hair in the food. My tegu Raausti.. Got a hair stuck in his throat not allowing him to breath. Once in a while he would seem find next minute he was slithering and thrashing his way to nowhere.
I have a thread about it. I also have a vid.. Thinking of uploading soon on youtube..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 65

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980