• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

So where'd you get your Tegu?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is always a risk when shipping a living breathing creature. Isn't that why they offer a live arrival guarantee?
Like Cameron, I've not bothered ever to read their Terms of Service, so I can only wonder- If the animal arrives dead, will they cover the cost of shipment of the replacement? Will they refund your money? What if it dies the next day, then what? What if it arrives and clearly warrants expensive veterinary help or it's dead in a week? Because of these questions, imperative for any prospective buyer to read from any potential vendor.

Plus, even if they do have a refund policy, your animal arrives dead and you have to dispose of it, they refund you all your money, well you're now back at square 1, and what was it all for? That's my opinion

Sci

I'd a
Plus, even if they do have a refund policy, your animal arrives dead and you have to dispose of it, they refund you all your money, well you're now back at square 1, and what was it all for? That's my opinion

I'd agree. But when you would have to drive hundreds of miles (in my case) to get one then it really limits my options. I've always hated having animals shipped to me. Having to deal with companies and jumping through hoops to get a refund or a replacement. And the sadness of dealing with a dead reptile. :C

Sci

Idk I've never read into their site because I've never even given a thought to them. Rodney Irwin is a good guy, that's where I got my tegu. But he could improve his packaging methods. Just consider the difference in wild caught vs captive bred. Wilds are going to be more likely to be scared of you and skittish at first, being how they're used to being prey.

Well I'd be looking into a hatchling for that reason. Or do you mean it takes multiple generations of captive breeding? Rodney offers hatchlings. Are they a personal stock he breeds or does he breed wild ones directly for sale?

The concept of breeding wild ones makes my brain spin haha.
No, he does breed captive tegus during season. Be he catches wild tegus and sells them all year long, and constantly has a supply of wild caught

Sci

I am after a captive-bred one for sure. When is the season? Starts May-July? Thinking I' m hosed until next year....

I believe the season is around then, yeah. Normally captive hatchlings start being available around July I think. You just missed this last batch

Sci

Well I have not gotten a reply from Rodney but I talked to Johnny over at TeguTerra and he will have a batch of hatchling B&W in October. Does anyone recommend one breeder over the other?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rodney's getting shoulder surgery soon. Maybe now. Would explain not hearing from him. I've only dealt with Rodney and give him two thumbs up.

N8bub

Ty Park, hectorshabitat.com, Laura Roberts (yourtegu.com). Thats where I'd start, it seems that mr. Irwin also runs a fine business as well. I would exercise caution with teguterra.com, mr larocca used to be held in high esteem but it seems as though in the last few years there have been some things that would be reason for concern. I would recommend that you check the faunaclassifieds.com BOI 's regarding this. Whatever you choose just pick someone with good stock and reputation, just my 2 cents

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu