• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sleeping alot

jd61285

5 Year Member
My giant was sleeping alot he was only awake for about 2-3 hours a day and had runny stool so i took him to the vet they did not find anything. The vet still wanted to have him take panacur since it sounded like some type of parasite, he is now up for about 5 hours a day his stool is back and forth runny and not. How long are these guys usually awake for ? Any other input or suggestions also appreciated.

jd61285

5 Year Member
Could someone let me know how long there tegus are awake i have the lights on from 8 to 8 and he is only up from like 8:30 to like 12:30 i don't think it is right but the vet says everything is good.

31drew31

5 Year Member
mine usually gets up between 1 and 3pm. Then basks till around 6 or 7 then is in and out of her hides till about 10 when the lights go off. When she is out basking she is awake half the time and asleep half the time.

Turbine

5 Year Member
Fin, wakes up roughly 7am and has himself buried under the substrate around 2:30 -3:00 everyday. Its like clockwork. He spends about an hour basking when gets up and is pretty active through out the day.

Turbine

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
John, he should be awake more, are your temps good? If he is too hot it could cause him to hide more.

FoxxCola

5 Year Member
I keep my lights on a timer, 8am - 8pm. My tegu gets up like 9 and goes to bed at about 7. During that time he's basking or he's running around and digging but he never really hides during the day..

jd61285

5 Year Member
i just checked his temps they are 84 on the cool side 92 on the warm side and his basking spot is 110. Do these sound right ?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well that will cause it sometimes, try some Activia yogurt for a few days and see if it helps.

jd61285

5 Year Member
So the temps seem fine? I will try the yogurt just put it in a bowl for him?
Thank You for the help i know you are extremly busy this time of year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu