• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Skitzo Plated Lizard

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Something is up with my plated lizard, Spike. Lately when I have been going in to give him his food and water, he flips out and tries to run up the sides of the tank. It sends substrate everywhere, but I am more afraid that Spike might injure himself. He's about 15 (not 100% sure of his age but he can't be less than 13), has some issues with his back, and has a history or hurting himself. In the year I've been working at the museum, he has never acted like this and is usually rather calm. Why is Spike so crazy all of a sudden?

Kebechet

Is it possible that you smell like Tegu, or some other predatory animal when you go in there? He might be reacting to that. Alternately, how often are you handling him? This sounds like a fear response.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Spike is never handled, except when I clean out the tank. Every morning, I scoop out the poop, refill the water dish, and give him his breakfast. He was never properly socialized and thrashes like a Slayer fan whenever he is picked up. He also has an odd dip in his back that do me looks as if he was dropped at some point, broke his back, and had it heal funny; Spike is flatter than a plated lizard should be. Between his back, his disposition, and his age, coming out to interact with the kids is a bad idea. Spike is the second reptile fed in the mornings, after Bernie the box turtle, so I doubt it's because I smell like a predator. He only just started this behavior last week and the tegu has been here the better part of four months. I used to be able to put the food dish right in front of him no problem, but now he bolts all over the tank like a madman.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long