• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sick tegu. Need help!

ishmogeekus

My tegu has been very healthy and acting normal until a couple of days ago. He started arching his back uncontrollably and leaning to one side. Any ideas on what this could be? See the linked YouTube video. He has been eating and defecating normally. Proper lighting, temps, humidity, food, large clean cage.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I would say by the looks of it that your tegu is experiencing some rather serious internal discomfort. Take it to a qualified veterinarian.

TheTeguGurl

It looks lie to me that he is straining to poop and he is impacted. but you say he is pooping normally. So i must ask how much is coming out when he poops. this could be an partial impaction. but agreed he needs a vet ASAP

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can only add more of the same. You can see that his abdomen looks sort of distended and then tightens. He just stiff with discomfort. It is a very nice looking red, btw.

ishmogeekus

I came home from work today and he is back to normal. He also started a massive shed.

If it was partial impaction, the only thing I think could cause it would be some crushed egg shells I have been mixing with his turkey. Has anyone had a problem with egg shells?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've only had an issue with tegu digestion if the temps were low and/or the humidity was low. I'm glad to hear he's feeling better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu