• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

shopping mistake

Aba Zappa

So i was out looking to purchase a new enclosure my my panther cham and well whoops.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

named him Odysseus cause he's pretty much a bad @ss. He's doing pretty good so far lots of swimming and munching on smelly snails courtesy of the local Asian market.
Still a bit timid like to hid if you get close to the tank and get really pissed if you try to touch him but that's to be expected.
He's in a 50 gal half hex right now until i can bang out a permanent enclosure, this tank should last me a couple of months he's only about 16-17 inches right now and it's mostly tail. Will be updating as things progress with the tank though.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
What a funky looking chameleon! Lol, jk. Love the name. He's really pretty. So many people on this forum have caiman lizards and it's making me want one SO bad. Sadly, I have not the money, space, or time for another large lizard. Hope you and Odysseus have many happy years together. If you need advice, ask Chelvis as he seems to be the #1 caiman lizard guy on here.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Warning about that all tail part, they grow fast. My boy is just over a year now and is pushing 3 feet, I really need to get a tape messurer on him. I love mine, he is very chill, in fact took him to petsmart the other day to see some old co-workers and wow what a crowd. He just sat on my shoulder and was fine with it.

Good luck! Trust me you will want a second one. I am still saving for another and to build his new cage. Thinking of a 12x4x5 cage... humm.

Bntegus

chelvis said:
Warning about that all tail part, they grow fast. My boy is just over a year now and is pushing 3 feet, I really need to get a tape messurer on him. I love mine, he is very chill, in fact took him to petsmart the other day to see some old co-workers and wow what a crowd. He just sat on my shoulder and was fine with it.

Good luck! Trust me you will want a second one. I am still saving for another and to build his new cage. Thinking of a 12x4x5 cage... humm.

you got the 2 part right lol i bought one for my wife. and then my kids really liked it so now i have 3 babies lol they are very personal animals very cool i like them.

Aba Zappa

thanks guys, hopefully i can start getting the supplies for the new enclosure and have it done within the next month and a half or so. Sadly i can't start on it for a few weeks due to completely booked up weekends. I'm hoping he tames out pretty quickly but i've only had him 4 days so it's understandable that he hates me. He tried biting me a few times luckily he missed every time.

Chelvis what size is your tank just for the one, I'm thinking about doing an acrylic tank for ease of waterproofing and IMHO it's easier to work with than glass. I'm just not sure how big to make the thing yet. I'll probably be asking you questions as they come up being as information on these guys is pretty hard to come by. Until then i got some work to do planning this tank out, maybe i'll do a nice write up on building it in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
are there any good sites to check out for a care sheet? whenever i get enough money i was thinking of getting one too.

Bntegus

frost said:
are there any good sites to check out for a care sheet? whenever i get enough money i was thinking of getting one too.

i dont really no you cant find anything real good i have been taking care of them like a tegu with lots of water and trees and they are eatting everthing seem to be doing great.

Aba Zappa

i tried and tried to find a care sheet but had no luck, i found some good tid bits of info randomly...maybe some of the more experienced caiman owners here should write up a care sheet for us new guys would be greatly appreciated.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Heres a link to a "care sheet" I put togeather not too long ago. I am still getting more info form other owners and keepers.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=10439#axzz1rbVIxB3f

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029