• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding problems

Lori Murphy

My tegu has cracked skin around his vent area and some on back feet. I think,he is having shedding issues. Any auggestions. He is housed with another tegu who is fine.
0324160721.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard here that fish oil in the food helps a lot. I also suggest providing a hide with moist sphagnum moss in it. besides holding moisture well, it is a natural antisceptic.

Last edited:

Trede

When I adopted/rescued my tegu, she had stuck shed on probably the back 2/3 of her tail. She shed shortly after I got her home, and that area didn't budge...at all. It didn't appear to be cutting of circulation, but I worried about it. Long story short, I gave her regular baths (in large part because she almost daily walked in to the shower and looked at me expectantly until I turned on the warm water...) and started applying coconut oil to her after. Worked like a charm, within a week I was able to peel what looked like 3 or so layers of shed off of her tail in one big chunk.

TL;DR: Coconut oil helped A LOT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont