• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

SERIOUS GRAPHIC WARNING: A feeding "Don't"

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
I wasn't quite sure where to post this.As most of you know I have geckos so this post is from a gecko forum but its about a snake and a live rat.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6124&highlight=bite">http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/sho ... light=bite</a><!-- m -->

Brat!

red_tegu28

5 Year Member
I had a friend that had a black snake about 5 ft and he fed it a hamster and left for the day and the hamster killed the snake,looked just like the pics you showed,about 15 years ago

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pretty sickening, though it's not like it's a rare occurrence.

*GRAPHIC*

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://proexotics.com/live_prey.htm">http://proexotics.com/live_prey.htm</a><!-- m -->

Joey

5 Year Member
Wow thats too bad those are one of the disadvantages of feeding reptiles big live food thats horrible the owner shouldnt have left food in hi cage overnight in the first place

dorton

5 Year Member
I only have 1 feeding on live, as soon as it gets a little more size, it will make the change. Unfortunately lots of people will never see any images like these until it happens to their own.

nat

5 Year Member
yes the realities of live feeding. le sigh. I realize that there are problem feeders out there and that some animals require live for one reason or another... but it drives me mad to no end when the "natural" argument is used to defend live feeding. Maybe its the philosophy student in me, but I can't for the life of me understand how you can
a) stick an animal in your house, in an environment that never will come close to its natural habitat
b) work to "tame" the animal to interact with people

and than argue that you are feeding live because you want to be as natural as possible. poor snake :(

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
You know that looks bad but I got one in a few years ago worse than that. It is still alive at a friend of mines house. These people give responsible live feeders a bad name. The rat had to be way too big for it to do that. My main point is that the snake would have lived through it. Someone just needed to take up time with it.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
nat said:
yes the realities of live feeding. le sigh. I realize that there are problem feeders out there and that some animals require live for one reason or another... but it drives me mad to no end when the "natural" argument is used to defend live feeding. Maybe its the philosophy student in me, but I can't for the life of me understand how you can
a) stick an animal in your house, in an environment that never will come close to its natural habitat
b) work to "tame" the animal to interact with people

and than argue that you are feeding live because you want to be as natural as possible. poor snake :(

THANK YOU. I can't agree with you more.

Poor snakes :(

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some people just don't realize how much damage a live rat can do. Pre-killed or frozen thawed cannot bite, it is the way to go if they will eat them. JMHO

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
It's asinine to think it won't catch up with you. I'm sure you all know how I feed one live and pk'd others so that there are no issues, but to think that feeding big live animals big live prey won't hurt them at some point is just plain ignorance. There are picky eaters and there's not much you can do about it, but otherwise, this is another dumb issue. Live prey is a thing of the past. It is outdated, and not necessary.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I personally think the same thing goes for mice aswell as rats. Though they may be smaller. There's nothing stopping them from chomping down on a snake while it's constricting.

But that's just my 2 cents

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Yea and it's really not that hard to switch over picky eaters. I just got the ball to switch over with one live rat pup, followed by a pk'd adult and she didn't notice the difference.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
When my snakes take the live rat from my hand. They have the head in their mouth. I feed adult rats stunned. But they still have to take it from my hand . If not I go to the next cage. I feel that live can be fed safely if you do it right. In the case with this snake I don't agree with the way the person done things. I raise and sell rats so I have an abundant supply. But I don't give the reptile too big of a feeder for it. Yeah sure they can kill large stuff. I can kill a cow with a pocket knife. But I ain't gonna look to pretty when I get done. Same with the snake. I mean who kills pinkies before they feed them or hoppers you get my drift don't you guys.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Don't you still think it's dangerous with the rat/mouse's head in the snakes mouth? I'd think that it could still bite and then the wound wouldn't be visible because it was in the snake's mouth.

Just my opinion.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Honestly I've never had a problem. I'm not saying It can't happen.
But this has worked for me for over 10 years. I feed F/T from time to time. To me it's not because it's natural. It's the exercise and muscle developement. Lizards can eat anything and be fine. But My honest belief. Is that a snake is one of the only carnivores that eat healthy live prey. Their system was set up to digest fresh healthy meat. It's got to do with fiber in the diet and things like that to me. Not how natural it it is. The person who had the snake in this post should have known better. Never leave a snake unattended while feeding live. I don't want a heated debate . I just wanted to try and clean my record a little. I may have stepped on some tones in another thread. I just won't let you guys know . I'm not some crazy fanatic type. I really respect all of your opinions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus