• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Semi-Brumation? Water?

thommack

This is the second winter for my female B&W tegu. She is a rescue, found by a friend outside his house in summer 2020. Last year she didn't really brumate for a long time. She was in and out a lot. This year I moved her to a new room with a very large floor enclosure and two hide boxes. About 2-3 weeks ago she went into her lower temperature (mid- to high-60's) hide box and I did not see her till today. Today she was out for some time under her heat lamp, and then went into her second hide box which has a low temperature animal heating pad under it.

She looked really healthy, with no weight loss. She did not seem hungry, and from everything I've read I don't want to feed her. But I was wondering about water. When her water dish finally evaporated, I didn't bother refilling it. She has a large soaking pan, which she never uses, and it has gone almost dry as well. (I use it more for humidity than anything because she never goes into it.) Should I give her water to drink during this time? I have seen more than one website that suggests no water during brumation, but considering the fact that she is not sleeping for months straight, was wondering what I should do. I really thought that maybe this year I wouldn't see her out this soon.

Tom Mack

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus