• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rubber Boa

G

DSC01617.jpg

This is a picture of Jan with a rubber boa that I found last summer ...

They are some times found sunning themselves on trails in the deep woods up here in the north west ..

They are very [tame ] and can be easily picked up and put in a pocket ..

They eat baby mice and the story has it they can eat only once a year and do ok ...

They have small smooth scales and feel like silk ..

G

They are cool snakes ..

I keep them for a week or so then let them go back where I find them ...

You just pick them up off the trail and put them in your pocket

They just curl up and go to sleep ..

They have a blunt tail that is often scarred up from the mother mouse as the snake distracts the mouse with it [the mouse thinks it`s its head ] as the snake eats the baby mice ..

They are not at all your average garter snake ....

Tobe has a couple last I heard ......

slideaboot

5 Year Member
That is a HUGE rubber boa!!!

I love keeping those guys. They are really sought after by a select group of folks...they tend to be hard to come by.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yup, I have a young pair... mine are captive bred and doing great!

They are very hard to come by int he pet industry. Females breed once every 2~3 years and they have 2~7 babies per clutch/brood...

Also the babies go into hibernation after being born before they eat which allows a % of every brood/clutch to not survive until their first spring. This just makes horrible odds for breeding success... They surely are not and will never be a profitable breeding project...

Wild caught ones are protected to some degree in every native environment they come from.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu