• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rescue

Longfellow777

Recently rescued a Tegu that I was not planning on getting, I have a bearded dragon so I’m not new to having a lizard. Her name is Raven and she is about a year and a half old and should be much much bigger I know this is her

I was really hoping somebody could just give me the lowdown on husbandry and temps and what I should be feeding this girl and how often supplementation and things like that, Last night when I took possession of her I gave her D3 and calcium with a couple large roaches. And a couple pieces of chicken we just gave her a good soak and she had a poop and drink a lot of water from her bowl when she got back in so I know she’s getting Hydrated. Her hot zone is running between 105 and 110 right now I’ve got a 75 W halogen Arcadia flood, Next to a 50 w DHP projector and a T5 Zoo med 10.0 and Keeping humidity between 60 and 80 the humidity is something I’m not used to but I’ll get it down. Well I am very active on my bearded dragon forum and want to do right by this little girl So I will be on here quite a bit I’m sure anyways looking forward to some advice thank you for your time.
The Longfellow’s

Attachments

• 83B24F63-1ADD-48FF-8390-47496228099A.jpeg
    83B24F63-1ADD-48FF-8390-47496228099A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
Hi, and welcome!

Be patient. Someone will be along soon to answer your questions. It's usually pretty slow here on week-ends. I just checked the home page under "Members online" and none of our members are here at the moment.

Longfellow777

Hi, and welcome!

Be patient. Someone will be along soon to answer your questions. It's usually pretty slow here on week-ends. I just checked the home page under "Members online" and none of our members are here at the moment.
From what I’ve put temps and humidity with the t5 uvb, overall is this all ok ?

Longfellow777

Man if this was my bearded dragon forum I would of had several responses already with people eager to help better the life of this lizard this is one of 3 posts not one answer.

Longfellow777

Well she’s pooping and eating, Made some turkey balls got her temperatures to 110 to 115, with humidity around 70-80. I’m not the kind of person to go out and buy an animal without knowing every in and out of their Needs but this girl kind of just fell in my lap looks like I’m not gonna be getting any help from anyone on this forum. Got a whole lot of replies on the bearded dragon forum though and luckily a few of them own tegus So thanks for nothing guys LOL

Longfellow777

Update not that anyone on here cares but I’m excited and proud of the progress “Raven” is making. You almost can’t see the bones on her back and bumm anymore. We have mixed turkey balls with spirulina, calcium and little d3. Shrimp, and a whole lot of dubia roaches I’ve had to purchase more breeders for my colony. I’ve always had a decent colony for my dragons. She drinks plenty of water her humidity is always about 70 and she poops everyday. The last 2 photos are from a week of having her

Attachments

• F33A6BB5-A0A0-4F53-B86C-B67BD1D1A29F.jpeg
    F33A6BB5-A0A0-4F53-B86C-B67BD1D1A29F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 03285A33-7279-41C7-85EB-17BE73D1C312.jpeg
    03285A33-7279-41C7-85EB-17BE73D1C312.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 4C4AA054-21B7-48A5-B3DD-FF7348118689.jpeg
    4C4AA054-21B7-48A5-B3DD-FF7348118689.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
I'm glad to see she's making progress! Good job. I don't know where everyone is, but looks like you're doing ok without them.

What's the story about this tegu?

Longfellow777

Thank you! We really enjoy having her here she’s amazing. It was my son in laws and he had a Pac-Man, two pixie frogs, and a Boa. My daughter and him are getting divorced and I went by his house to see how he was holding up and she was the only one still alive. So already having a bearded dragon and dubia colonies I told him I wanted the lizard. I’m getting a bonus at work and when I do I’m also taking her to the vet to get blood drawn and check for parasites due to the condition the tank was. I’m hoping all’s well she seems like she’s ok. Her stool doesn’t point to parasites but I couldn’t see how she wouldn’t her tank was disgusting. I appreciate the feedback I’m really present on my beardeddragon.org and am always helping or learning from people on there and was hoping I could have the same here for Raven. I think we will be ok though I’m about to move her into a bigger tank and make nice rock wall background for her. What kind of tegus you got?

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
Oh, lol! I'm only here to keep the spammers away. Lizards and spiders aren't my cup o tea. I'm a tortoise person. But my grandson has a huge black and white Argentine tegu with the stinkiest poops ever!

I don't understand where everyone is. It's normally busier than this. And it really is a friendly group.

Longfellow777

I believe you and I shouldn’t be such an ass about it but had a lot on my plate lately and was expecting more LOL. Tortoises are cool my mother is all into turtles. They need a lot of uvb right? I bet your enclosure or area is really cool. Water and all that?

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
I wish! No, everything is outside. Lots of grass, weeds and plants. The only indoor enclosures I have are for babies, and they're not much to look at. ATM I have two Vision cages set up. One has a hatchling leopard tortoise in it and the other an Asian forest tortoise hatchling. I recently moved my breeding pairs and they've not settled in yet. only one leopard egg hatched and three from the Forest tort clutch. I'm in partnership with a fellow in San Diego and when the babies are robust enough they will go to my partner to sell.

Manouria emys emys hatch 8-19-21 b.jpg
Manouria emys emys hatch 8-26-21 a.jpg
Manouria emys emys hatch 8-26-21 b.jpg

Last edited:

Longfellow777

I wish! No, everything is outside. Lots of grass, weeds and plants. The only indoor enclosures I have are for babies, and they're not much to look at. ATM I have two Vision cages set up. One has a hatchling leopard tortoise in it and the other an Asian forest tortoise hatchling. I recently moved my breeding pairs and they've not settled in yet. only one leopard egg hatched and three from the Forest tort clutch. I'm in partnership with a fellow in San Diego and when the babies are robust enough they will go to my partner to sell.

View attachment 16226View attachment 16227View attachment 16228
Hell yeah that’s awesome! I’m from California, San Diego is a nice place. I was thinking about getting my mother a turtle this year for her birthday

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980