• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red tegu for a first time owner?

G

I did read this post/topic
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6526</a><!-- l -->

I was still wondering if a red tegu would be an ok starter. From what I've been reading the argentine b/w's are most tame, the reds being closer behind but they're generally more shy.
I don't mind having a shy lizard but I still want to handle it. The argentine b/w's seem to be more social and seem to sort of "thrive" with human contact... Not sure if thrives the word I'm looking for but its the only one coming to mind :(
I have a wooden enclosure that I'm planning on using, it has sliding (locking) glass doors with 2 uvb/florescent fixtures (4 tubes total) as well as one spot for a basking bulb, another could easily be added if needed but I don't think it would be necessary. The enclosure is roughly 7.5ft x 3ft x 3ft. I know its not quite as large are some of the enclosures out there but I do plan on letting my future tegu out a few times a day to stretch out. I've been looking at varnyard, that seems to be the place to go for tegus. Like I said, I'm not in a rush, I want to make sure I have everything and the proper knowledge before getting one. Thanks in advance for your help.

Nessie

I have a black and white Tegu (2010) and he is pretty good. He went through about a month of adjusting and testing me, from running, hiding to charging and leaping!. He would try to fight and lash out but the second I get him out of his tank he is a calm as anything. I kept on him and stayed with my routine of feedings and free roam time ( in a small bathroom with myself present) and he is fine now. Once in awhile he'll whip his tail when I try to pick him up but I have noticed that is only in the morning before he has taken his morning crap!

I got a Red about 3 weeks ago and I was told they were more shy but didn't really think too much about it. I kinda thought they were both Argentine Tegus just one is Red....Wow is my red shy! She is very skittish. Since I have had her she has hardly eaten, she is in hiding most of the time ( still trying to determine if she is trying to hibernate or she is extremely stressed) but she is so much different then my B&W. When she is out I can get my hand under her belly and she will stand there for a little while without bolting but I think alot of that is that she is froze with fear. She is a sweet heart in the respect that she doesn't whip her tail, no huffing or puffing, no chaging its just she is so shy.

I am sure she will settle down once she gives me a chance to interact with her like Dezie so if your choice comes from preference I wouldn't get discourage by the fact that Reds are more shy. I love to interact with my reptiles so when it comes down to it it doesn't bother me too much when my Black and white decides to be a challenge as he has spunk where the Red does not want any conflict at all. She would rather go hide until the coast is clear.

The Argentine is a pretty awesome animal and with the proper socializing you will be happy with your choice.

G

Cool thank you. Tomorrow I'm going to a reptile rescue, they have an argentine b/w tegu there I was gonna check it out and get more of an idea about their behavior. And see if its really something I would like to own and something that I can see myself caring for for a long time. Looking only!

Nessie

Yeah , if she is a good natured one I bet you'll be leaving with her! I saw my first Tegu last December, never even got to interact with it, and I started researching like crazy and new I had to have one. Had one for about 3 weeks and just had to have two so now I have Dezie and Lucy and love them to bits whether they behave or not!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
my red was totally the opposite of my b/w's, he wasnt "shy" persay, he had no problem with charging at you, he definately wasnt shy about eating either lol. i noticed that it took about a month to get my second b/w tegu to calm down and not charge me, but after working with my red for a few months it was clear he wasnt going to calm down anytime soon. with that said i do believe some reds have a different personality than the b/w's but as with any tegu its all about your husbandry and how you interact with them. i would say a red can be a first tegu although it may take a bit longer to get him as tame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hweikel