• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rain chamber?

Daniel.lizards

Has anyone here used a rain chamber for their tegu? I don't have a tegu as of yet, but I have used a rain chamber for my savannah monitor, water dragon, mountain horned dragon, and green basilisk.

If you don't know what it is:

Super simple to make. Used to keep up humidity. Also can be very amazing looking.

Supplies
Storage bin of any size, with lid, depending on lizard and tank size
Aquarium pump
PVC pipe with joints etc.
Metal screen mesh
Aquarium safe glue, sealant, whatever you prefer (I use aquarium silicon)
Possibly wood boards for support of larger reptiles.

1. cut a square hole out of the lid, make it look like a picture frame
2. Glue screen to the lid to allow water passage. For bigger reptiles insert pieces of wood to support the lizards weight. (Make sure you can open it to clean it out as the lizards may very well poop on it!)
3. Cut a hole in the screen that the PVC pipe can go through
4. Poke holes on the pvc on only one side. And cap the end so the water is forced down the holes.
5. Connect the PVC pipe together so it goes out of the bin and up over top of the screen. Your making the pump bring the water up the PVC pipe, and through the holes in the PVC , through the screen and back into the bin.
6. Hook up the pump to the PVC pipe. Make it rain!!! Lol. (You're going to probably need a tube leading up the PVC pipe from the pump cause of pump inability to hook directly to a PVC pipe.)

Make sure to glue the PVC pipe into place so it doesn't fall over. Try playing around with this, your lizards may love it like mine do. Try different pipe sizes. It will need cleaning, my lizards like sitting under the rain and then getting all covered in dirt, then showering it off. Another thing I have done is covering the screen with a light layer of sphagnum moss that the water can still get through, it worked great!(I can only do that with my basilisk because the others dig the moss out of the way, oh well)

Sorry this was so long, it really does help with humidity tho. and the supplies are only 15-20$ plus the cost of a pump maybe. I found all the stuff I needed in my dads basement besides the silicon and pump

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu