• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Quick question!

ztachick127

My baby red sleeps alot and iknow the heat and humidity is where its suppose to be. But i am also not home alot during the day now to see if he is coming out during the day so if he is hibernating or not would it be bad to try to wake him and try to take him out to feed him?

ztachick127

Its just hard for me to tell if he is hibernating now because of how i am not home during the day to much now and if he is coming out to eat or bask. what should i do to figure out if he is hibernating?
also when i have taken him out of his cage seems kinda out of it and not very active and when i come home he is sleeping in the same spot.

Lynda

I just leave some food in the cage when I go to work in the morning. If there are bites taken, she got up. The turkey is a bit like jerky by the time I get home, but it's good for all AM.

ztachick127

ok ill try doing that but still switching it up with the diet i had him on cuz he really hasnt been getting much bigger it seems like and i have had him for 5 months which im scared about... but ill also turn his lights on like i have normally then and see what happens. If he was bigger i wouldnt be so worried.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you describe your setup? Pics will help also.

Temps? Cool side, warm side and basking, how are you measuring?
Humidity? How are you measuring?
Substrate? How deep?
How big is the enclosure?
Do you have a solid or screen top?
What are you feeding? Do you use calcium? If so, how often?

ztachick127

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=9924#axzz1ahnti6IY

pics of my tank at the bottom.

it is a screen top but i have covered about 3/4 of it with foil to keep the humidity in and i mist the tank where it keeps humidity around 70
i have a cool side and warm side, i dont have a thermometer yet but im planning on getting one i have a power sun and just a 50 red heat lamp i leave on all day
for substrate i have zilla jungle mix, its deap enough where he can go underground without going under his dish or anything, which he as been laying in the same spot since i put him back last night. feeding ive been feeding every other day pinky mice live, hardboiled eggs, different fruit, lettuce and turkey or ham w e i have at the time. but i have been trying to give him diffent things every time then start over.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is probably too hot. Don't feed lettuce or ham. You need to get thermometers in there. How are you measuring humidity.

ztachick127

i have a gauge for humidty n im leaving just the red light on all day and ill see what happens, ill probably go run and buy a temp gauge today thanks!

ztachick127

yeah ik that but i was going to see if he came out at all today, then put it on cuz u said its to hot or should i just leave the power sun on?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well you need thermometers so you know what your temps are. I can't really give advice without knowing what your temps are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu