• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Quick question.

CommonGround

So I've had my hatchling for about a week now. He comes out for a hour or two and goes back into his burrow which I understand he is getting use to everything. I've been giving him his space, but pick him up to transfer him into his feeding cage. So my question is, I've noticed when he eats he will only take a few bites of his ground turkey and stops. Is it normal that hatchlings won't eat too much? Or am I stressing him out by transfering him into the new cage? And lastly does anyone have and tips on picking him up so hes calm? I show him my hand and try scooping hum from underneath, but he freaks out and tail whips runs to the other side. So the process takes around 20 minutes each time. lol

Thanks guys!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just give him some time to get settled in. Make sure you making slow deliberate movements when handling him - doing your best not to startle him. How long to leave him with his food? Does he seem to be eating enough in general? Are you weighing and measuring him?

CommonGround

I tried to weigh him a few times but he won't sit still long enough to get a reading. Right now he is roughly about 16 inches. I noticed he will only eat the turkey is I roll it into half inch balls. But if I roll calcium or vitamins into it he will not touch it. Although I did get him to eat a pinkey mouse. Today I gave him 5 turkey balls (dusted)and a pinkey. He chewed on everything but didn't eat it. I checked the temps and humidity its all normal...thinking its the vitamins. I usually leave him in his feeding bin for about 15-20 mins (somtimes longer) as long as he is interested in the food, once he starts looking for an escape route I'll tranfer him back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu