• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

question bout adult tegu

Anthony

5 Year Member
they say u should have a water bowl big enough for the tegu to lay in so my question is when the tegu gets 4 feet do u guys actually have a 4 foot waterbowl in the tank? also what size waterbowl should i get for my baby tegu ?

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
it doesnt literally have to be a 4ft water bowl...the one I used is was prolly 2ft long and 4-5 inches deep, they can curl their tail up in it with their body (tail being most of the length of the tegu) and I never really saw mine in it anyways unless it was trying to help the shed which I would soak it in the bath around those times. As for the small tegu you can use anything basically as long as its not big enough to allow them to drown, any type of tupperware really is what I used, or you can get one from the pet store.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My girl is weird when it comes to water...

I used to keep a decent sized water dish in her cage that she could crawl into, but I never once saw her get in it. I rarely saw her drink out of it... Usually only when I gave her fresh water (she appeared to be investigating the new thing more so than getting a drink). This is likely because I kept the tank heavily misted...

I have a bunch of large fish tanks and have put her in them many times. She doesn't like to swim but seems to enjoy soaking, provided her feed are stable. I've put her in tanks where she could easily climb out and stand on a rim/branch/rock/etc out of the water, but she commonly soaks with only her head out for extended periods.

Last year I had a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank that was not in use. So I would commonly put it on a slope in the yard and put a few inches of water on one end and a rock/slate on the other end for shade. She would walk circles around the edge for hours playing in the water as she did. I know it's impossible to read their minds, but I'm convinced she was not circling looking for a way out. She seemed (to me) to be very happy in this outside cage.

I now have a smaller water bowl in her cage that she cannot completely fit into. Her cage is very moist and both times she shed this year she had no bunching around her toes and otherwise went very smooth.

I'm not going to overly speculate on any conclusions here nor make any suggestions. But thought I'd share my experience regarding young Tegus and water...

As for planning/considering adult situations, as Taylor mentioned, keep in mind that a 4' Tegu is about 20" of body and 28" of tail... I would suspect that a 2.5' x 1.5' water dish would easily allow a Tegu to fully submerge itself...

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
I wouldnt worry too much. my tegu doesnt use his water bowl either. and ive only seen him drink a few times. as long as it can curl up in the water is fine

Tarantu1aMan

5 Year Member
you can just use like a sterolite tub,those seem big enough.but i wouldnt worry to much about it,if you just keep his substrate moist he wont have to go and soak,the moist substrate will help him shed good enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus