• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

question about take out the tegu from the cage and feed it

G

Hi everyone!

i read the article about how to build the trust with tegus, and it says disturbing the tegus or taking them out from their hides will ruin the trust and it s so wrong. on the other hand, it s a good idea to feed the tegus in another seperate cage.... i think there s a conflict between these two (sorry, i m not judging, just not totally understand the connaction in between XD).
therefore, what s the best way to connact these two ideas together? should i use a tool and hold some food in front their hides and lure them out, and bring them to another cage? or there s another better way? cuz i dont think as a young little tegu baby will understand either you wana feed it or play with it, especially when it doesnt wana be bothered...

thanks in advance.

Herplings

5 Year Member
The answers to your questions are really on an animal to animal basis.

I wake my Tegu up all the time and pull her out of her hide. She has never shown a negative response to this.
I have owned this Tegu for over a year and I have never seen it tail whip, hiss, mouth display. Not even as a month old hatchling.

As a result I also feed her with my hand and no feeding tools, and I feed her in her cage.

Others have had different experiences with their Tegus, thus they have to do things differently. They are not wrong in what they are doing, they are doing what they have to do to met the Tegus needs.

Its nice to read a care sheet for very basic and very general owning tips. But that is all they are.
Learn the Tegu and take your time with it and over time you will better know what you need to do to suit you and your Tegus needs.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Except for crickets the first week I had him I have always fed Beauregard in a separate feeding enclosure, still do.

It has worked beautifully well for me.

...Jefroka

AlbatrossTrevelyan

I believe that handling them when you take them out of their enclosure, and then putting them back in is a trust builder as well. You have two handling sessions a day building trust, over a few weeks or a couple months they should then start seeing your hand as less of a threat, and will then tolerate you picking them up to place them into a separate container.

Also, try fiddling around in their cage on a daily basis, but pay no attention to them, and if they act curious hold your and out, and see if they take any interest, if they run away, then don't rush it.

mastroj

With my tegu once he learned the schedule we dont have a problem with me waking him. I woke him up the first few days to feed him. I have a busy schedule so if I didnt wake him up he wasnt going to eat. He was a little grumpy and spazzed out a little more then usual but once I got him out he calmed right down. After I held him for a while I put him in with some food he ate and then I held him a little bit more and put him back in his home. Now everyday he is up when it is time to eat. I rarely see him sleeping during the day. He does go down an hour or two before the lights go up but I am usually not home at this time anyways. Now he still gets a little ticked when I go to pick him up (walks away and does some warning tail whips but nothing damage inflicting), it is just he isnt 100% comfortable with me yet since he is only 13".

Good luck with yours, this is how mine is going with this subject.

fireimp141

Well when I got Tyson he was 17." This is back in February when he had just come out of brumation. Needless to say the previous owner was not all that into him like I was. He hissed tail whipped the whole 9 yards. Now that he is 40" I cant pull him out of his hide every day, any time of day. Just as long as they establish trust with you, you can do whatever. Right after he is done eating, he turns up and looks at me, and that's my cue to pick him up, and he knows this. Gus are very intelligent creatures, and learn to associate quickly. Just get in some quality handling time and you should have no problems with anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me