• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question about priming/painting

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
OKAY. I know this question has been asked a dozen times over but I need to clarify a few things, help please!

The way I understand it, on bare wood (or bare box) you would want to silicone caulk all seams, use Kilz water-based primer (or something similar), put on two coats. Next step would be painting over it with your end color whatever it may be.

Is it correct that it is unimportant if it is a water-based or oil-based paint as long it has ample time to air out? (I have a 2009 Tegu reserved, so I have plenty of time.)

Also after you put on your finishing colors of paint is it necessary to seal over that with a polyacrylic or another sealant. If so, what do you recommend? :drool

THANK YOU in advance.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Alright, people get more detailed and make this more complicated than it really is. I have an 8x4x3 that I built...and I simply used a nice thick coat of KILZ primer, just ONE coat...there was no need for another. Then I used ONE coat of an outdoor paint, the color that you want your tank. That is ALL you really need to do, because that is all I did and my tank is perfectly fine and my tegus love them. I have had no problems with mold, warps, paint chipping, nothing. You can do more if you'd like to waste more money, but a nice basic coat of primer, then outdoor paint is perfectly fine and theres no need to go further than that unless you just want to be extra safe and paranoid.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
omgtaylorg said:
Alright, people get more detailed and make this more complicated than it really is. I have an 8x4x3 that I built...and I simply used a nice thick coat of KILZ primer, just ONE coat...there was no need for another. Then I used ONE coat of an outdoor paint, the color that you want your tank. That is ALL you really need to do, because that is all I did and my tank is perfectly fine and my tegus love them. I have had no problems with mold, warps, paint chipping, nothing. You can do more if you'd like to waste more money, but a nice basic coat of primer, then outdoor paint is perfectly fine and theres no need to go further than that unless you just want to be extra safe and paranoid.

I agree with you for the most part. Its kind of hard to tell how long your cage will last though. You have only had it for a short time. I think its worth an extra coat. tegus claws can do alot of damage if they want to dig out.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
No problem....and I expect my cage to last quite a long time simply because you dont have to keep your cage under constant massive amount of humidity as long as you water it down and your tegu, and give the tegu baths...this way prevents warping and mold anyways...but also using the outdoor paint helps with that too simply because outdoors it would be getting rained on, like a fence....KILZ+outdoor paint=non warping cage. KILZ is the best primer on the market and works amazingly. And I also have a 4x2x2 with my other tegu in it and it wasnt even primered, Its just built with thick wood and again the outdoor paint and sliding glass doors, no chips molds or warps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan