• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Preventing Hibernation

DeCula

I have read a lot about Tegu hibernation. I do not plan on breeding, and I would like my future female to be active year round. Is there a way to deter the hibernation process if she decides to do it on her own? Or is it just hit or miss?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can encourage or discourage hibernation... but you cannot force them to hibernate nor to not hibernate... at least that is the theory.

Hibernation is instinctual for them, but their instinctual nature is triggered by environmental changes. keeping a steady temperature year round will fail to trip those triggers. In the fall if you notice your Tegu starting to sleep in later or go to sleep earlier, you may consider slightly increasing it's temperatures.

Increasing daytime hours also comes to mind but since Tegus burrow to sleep it is unlikely your Tegu will even notice that the light is on longer (since he will be buried in the dark while it's on).

All that said... My Tegus first year was spent in a fishroom with high humidity (60~90%) and a constant (minimum for the Tegu) temp of 80*F. That winter he went into full hibernation from November until May.

His second winter I had lights/heat/humidity all set on timers and adjusted times to simulate (approx) the time and temperatures of their native region. I did this expecting it to 'properly' trigger hibernation. Despite my efforts he only hibernated for approx 5~6 weeks from late December until late January. He did 'slow down' (burmate) throughout most of the winter reducing his food intake, reducing his activity levels and increasing his sleeping.

My suspecion is that yearlings are more likely to go into full hibernation and young adults & adults are more likely to stay awake through the winter. Although my experience with a single animal is not enough to draw a strong conclusion to this theory.

I do believe that it is essentially inevitable that your Tegu will 'slow down' (burmate) in the winter months if not going into an actual hibernation.

DeCula

Thanks Toby, thats about what I expected :) Hopefully she wont hibernate, but if she does she does, at least I'll save a bit on my electric bill lol.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
One important detail though, if she does begin to hibernate, feel free to play games with heat, light and humidity to try to coax her into waking up... but do not physically disturb her and 'wake her up'. If her instinctual clock is telling her she needs to hibernate externally keeping her awake may create a lot of stress.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i tried all types of things to get my tegu nero to hibernate but she just refused, i tried reducing the hours of heat and uvb, dropping the temps in the room(gradually went from 85*-65*), and still got no were, she didnt even brumate really she still was up each and every day and was eating daily, im not sure if she got the memo that she was suppose to go to sleep but the other tegus did. she eventually started sleeping later in january but would be up well into the night(i have seen her active in the dark at 1-2 am and the lights went out at 8 pm) so i guess every tegu is different and will do what they want when they want.

DeCula

reptastic said:
i tried all types of things to get my tegu nero to hibernate but she just refused, i tried reducing the hours of heat and uvb, dropping the temps in the room(gradually went from 85*-65*), and still got no were, she didnt even brumate really she still was up each and every day and was eating daily, im not sure if she got the memo that she was suppose to go to sleep but the other tegus did. she eventually started sleeping later in january but would be up well into the night(i have seen her active in the dark at 1-2 am and the lights went out at 8 pm) so i guess every tegu is different and will do what they want when they want.

I suppose its hard to complain, considering one of the main things I like about Tegus are thier distinct personalities. I'm a very 'live and let live' kind of guy, so if shes gonna hibernate, so bit it. She wants to hang out all year, all the better.

G

I'm *hoping* that the hatchlings we get in August won't hibernate during their first year, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see... ;)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DeCula said:
reptastic said:

I suppose its hard to complain, considering one of the main things I like about Tegus are thier distinct personalities. I'm a very 'live and let live' kind of guy, so if shes gonna hibernate, so bit it. She wants to hang out all year, all the better.

IF YOUR TEGU IS ANYTHING LIKE NERO WAS BE PREPARED FOR A HEFTY FOOD BILL INCREASE, THATS IF HE OR SHE DOSNT HIBERNATE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus