• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potty training

cornking4

5 Year Member
Does anybody have any ideas on how to train a tegu to defecate in a litter pan, or even just in his enclosure? Also dropping urates, too... He's gonna start free roaming the house and I don't want him leaving presents all over everything. Any techniques/suggestions/tricks?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I always gave Boon a lukewarm bath before letting him free roam, he defecated within 20 seconds of hitting the water almost every time :-D

cornking4

5 Year Member
Mine does the same, but I'd rather train him to always defecate in a pan or in his enclosure so that I can let him free roam whenever ha wants, and just leave the enclosure door open so he can come and go as he pleases. I've seen it done before... I wonder how though. I'm sure bobby's come across this...

Jer723

5 Year Member
id also like to know how to this. id love to have my tegu free roam as he pleases. lol you bring up a good point cornking.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Thanks jerry... If nobody gives an answer in the next day I'll ask bobby and post what he says. I know there's a way to do it... That would just be so cool to have them housebroken like a puppy.

GraphiK

5 Year Member
From what I understand, you can't truly potty train a tegu. It's more of getting the tegu used to going in the same place regularly like you have been doing with the lukewarm water. I don't know that anyone has been able to train a tegu or any reptile for that matter to drop what's it's doing and find a litter box to drop off it's presents. Think of it like the cage aggression. They start associating you hand with food because they see your hand and get food each time they see it. If you apply this to potty training in say a bathtub, the tegu eventually learns that each time it is in the bathtub it is taken out when it defecates, eventually it will start doing it's business only when it's in the water. This can be applied to Bearded Dragon, Iguanas, Etc.

cornking4

5 Year Member
I used to have a friend that kept five iguanas and tegus free roaming around the house. They'd hang out on the couches, in the kitchen, etc. This is what I hope to accomplish with my tegu.... He mustve somehow trained them to do their business in one corner of the house. I'm no longer in touch with him, so Im asking you guys. It's not a question of IF it can be done, it's a question of HOW.

Jer723

5 Year Member
well i have heard of some tegus will NOT deficate in their enclosure. would that be considered potty training. my tegu has convieniently taught him self to crap in his water bowl. lol makes my life so much easier. lol would that be considered potty training. is there anyway i could get him to stop going in his water? jeez! lol

cornking4

5 Year Member
I talked to some other owners, and they said that tegus love to poop in water. So here's my idea: fill a 6" deep pan with water (something they can soak in, but still easily get in and out of), and place a heating pad underneath it to keep the water warm. Put the tray of water in the corner of a room. Place him in the water once a day and he'll poop in it, just like he does in the tub. Clean it out every time they poop in it. Eventually, maybe they'll start associating the warm water tray with pooping, and they'll start going in it daily. Can anyone prove the validity of this? Just something crazy I came up with...

Jer723

5 Year Member
cornking4 said:
I talked to some other owners, and they said that tegus love to poop in water. So here's my idea: fill a 6" deep pan with water, and place a heating pad underneath it to keep the water warm. Put the tray of water in the corner of a room. Place him in the water once a day and he'll poop in it, just like he does in the tub. Clean it out every time they poop in it. Eventually, maybe they'll start associating the warm water tray with pooping, and they'll start going in it daily. Can anyone prove the validity of this? Just something crazy I came up with...

you are a genius! lol thats a great idea. i am definately going to try this. we should make this an experiment lol. see if it works. :chin thats a great idea! :app

cornking4

5 Year Member
Ok I'm gonna try setting it up... The goal is to make sure that the water is warm enough that they'll poop right when they get in it. I think we could have something here, Jerry!

Jer723

5 Year Member
cant wait to see if it works. i think your on to something just the hard part is going to be if they can get the hint and go in there on their own and not force them in. but tegus are pretty smart lol. theyll probablyh catch on sooner or later

cornking4

5 Year Member
What we'll have to do is put them in there every morning at the same time of day so that they get into a routine. Then when we stop doing it for them, they'll take it upon themselves to continue their usual activity. I think it'll work.

cornking4

5 Year Member
I emailed bobby about it and I'm still awaiting a response...I'll let you guys know (or, bobby, if you just wanna post directly in this thread haha)

Trey

5 Year Member
we have four Tegus. We have 3 B&W arg. The oldest is Toni from Brooklyn, she is 2 years. We have one extreme from bobby his name is Titan an he is about 6 weeks old or so. We have one red arg. an B&W arg. who both are yearlings from Johnny Lorocca,(Bert's stock). the Reds name is "Red Zephyr" an the b&w name is "The Great White Houdini" aka "The Who". what we have done is we got a "litter box", just a box full of sand. we put it on oposite ends of where the hibernate. It started off that they would use the bathroom anywhere, so we thought maybe we could "litter box" train them, so we did just that. Red is hibernating so we're not sure if he uses the box but The Who used it right off the bat. Toni is getting use to it but hasn't use it yet but in time i beleive she will. Titan also like The Who used his box right away and they have continued to use it, so we are very pleased. If they use the bathroom in their cage/pen just scoop it up an put it in their litter box, an they should use it. mine did anyway. but thats how we did it, and i hope this information helps yall, thanks, Trey.

Courtney

Any luck with this??? I have had my baby for 2 days and no poop yet going to give it a bath tomorrow....id love to potty train lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me