• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Outside?

Allie.Lauren

How to a get my tegus to be okay with the outside? I don't have a yard that I can put them in but I bought some harnesses and keep trying to take them to the store to get mice with me...but it doesn't go over too well they freak and death roll and my arm becomes a scratching post!! They're super well mannered inside you would never know!!
uploadfromtaptalk1408984887669.jpg

TheBeef

Start with a large dog cage. Place the tegus inside the cage while inside the house. Make sure there is a box or something that they can hide under. Then take them outside and put them down in some grass and sit down next to their cage for a couple hours. Depending on how you gauge their mood (attentive and defensive) or (curious yet alert) would be the deciding factor on whether I start to handle them while in the cage outside. Then if they're good, put the leash on the harness and try to hold them inside the cage. Then let them roam around and just shadow them. It should take about a week to get them used to outside, and I'd do outside time separately at first. I can take the foolish one in the picture anywhere now, whether it be class, work, or the store and he never behaves aggressively and is rarely timid.

Allie.Lauren

Start with a large dog cage. Place the tegus inside the cage while inside the house. Make sure there is a box or something that they can hide under. Then take them outside and put them down in some grass and sit down next to their cage for a couple hours. Depending on how you gauge their mood (attentive and defensive) or (curious yet alert) would be the deciding factor on whether I start to handle them while in the cage outside. Then if they're good, put the leash on the harness and try to hold them inside the cage. Then let them roam around and just shadow them. It should take about a week to get them used to outside, and I'd do outside time separately at first. I can take the foolish one in the picture anywhere now, whether it be class, work, or the store and he never behaves aggressively and is rarely timid.
Thank you I'll definitely try this!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus