• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Out door enclosure.

Allycatalex

So Ive seen many people have indoor and out door enclosures but when I see them they are in say Florida or California. I live in rural Georgia so it gets pretty hot in the summer. I was wondering if it would be okay to make a outdoor enclosure for my tegu Calypso for the summer and then have her in door one for the winter? I just wanted to ask about it before I acted on the idea.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Absolutely. I live in SC PA. My 1.2 live outside for seven months of the year. You know how we've suggested a gradient from say 115 to 75 or so F? Same for an outdoor set-up. Provide a shaded retreat that either enters the cool shaded ground or cool shaded concrete base. Also provide a super sunny area. They'll figure it out quickly. Also keep water bowl in shade.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter, I didn't know you had an outside enclosure...
Yes morning and afternoon sun reach most of a 3 ft deep and 14 ft long. Height is 10 ft. Attached to that is a smaller wire enclosure that provides them full sun for much of the day so that they have range of deep cool shade to more than dappled light to full sun. Their hide box gets morning sun to get them going. Male at 9:30 am faithfully, and followed by the females 1/2 -3/4 hr later browning down in the most open area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu