• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

one of those days

wyattroa

5 Year Member
well, it's just one of those days. sorry to beat a dead horse :dead It seems to happen way too often. Since i got her on july 13th i have spent the minimum of 1 hour a day with her. Most days i spend 2-3 hours. Its always either sitting by the cage, then resting my hand in there, then bringing him to the bathroom to eat and just hanging out in there. I even keep a shirt in her tank. I think she just honestly hates me.

I have never been bitten or tail whipped. She wiggles her tail a little when i start to pet her but then stops. She will get up and walk away sometimes but then come right back by my hand where the basking light is. I then do the same thing and start petting her, or just leave my hand there.

Sorry for the long post. I know it takes time and i feel im doing the right thing. I see so many people with these gu's that are the same age as mine being calm and taming down. I know all gu's are different.

One quick question. Do tegu's get more skittish or agitated when they are about to go into hibernation? Most times when i take her out of her cage she is fine come out, but lately she seems to be just wanting to be in her cage and trying to get off me back and in there. She is coming out later and later and going in earlier. The lights are only on for 6 hours a day now and she is probably out for 3 of those hours.. and eats maybe a tablespoon of turkey a day or one small mouse.

Also i have a feeling this could be because i moved all her substrate around because i had to bake it to get the bugs out. I also moved her tank into another room to get away from any loose gnats flying around in that room. The tank is now in a room that has the same amount of traffic as the other one.

robert

Ps man this was long winded..lol

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
Things don't sound that bad. The fact that you have move her cage and taken all mulch out and put it back may not have allowed for settling in and feel comfortable in his home. It may take some adjusting to where she is at now. Just a thought. The main thing I found with mine was extremely slow movements as to not make him nervous.

Dave

Meg90

5 Year Member
If you keep shortening her hours like that, she's going to continue to come out less, and go in earlier. I am keeping Cleo on a 12 hr cycle. I don't like to hibernate my animals. IMO, I don't feel safe doing it, because lots can go wrong.

Do you tub with your Gu? Cleo and I do almost every day. I think its good for her. Soon her harness will be here, and I'm going to try getting cozy on the couch with a blanket and her, and just watching a movie. (I know she will eventually sit close, because I will be the warmest thing available)

What I have been doing so far is just opening the cage door (front opening enclosure) and reaching in and gently petting her, and then walking away. I pet her before I pick her up too, so she knows whats coming.

Put a shirt back in there too. Use whatever tactic you can with her. I'm putting a shirt back in with Cleo, and I know she knows my scent, but I want to realllllly reinforce it.

Most Gus really like shoulder time. Have you tried just letting her sit on you?

Maybe the double shirt method?

Cleo I've had under two weeks, and she's very receptive to me for being here that short of time I've listed all the tips and tricks I'm using.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
yep i will let her sit on my shoulder, i do tub time with her. when in the tub she will just crawl to the back of me and lay by my butt. I have also tried the two shirt method.. i have a shirt in her cage. I really do not want to put her on a harness. Im afraid if she starts to freak out she will injure herself. I do allow her to sit on my shoulder when i first pic her up.. But she seems to want to walk around and try getting down..I dont want her to fall.
robert

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me