• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Nursing this Beautiful Girl Back to Health

tresh

So, today I went to pick up what I thought was an elderly male red tegu. His owner was surrendering him due to not having a place for him. I was told the tegu was missing his claws on his front feet due to bad humidity when he was little. It was a reptile rescue that put me in contact with him, so my assumption was that this was a legit story.

I picked him up, the person was in a hurry to leave, and having just driven two hours to pick the tegu up, I took a quick look at the tegu, and thought that he was just really small...maybe a runt tegu or some such. I wanted to leave him alone til we got home with him. He was stressed and upset, hiding in the towel I had in the kennel with him, so I just wanted to give him some quiet time.

We made a stop at the pet store that knows tegus (I always bring my black and white there), and it was here that we discovered why the guy was in such a hurry to leave.

The 'elderly male tegu' is a severely neglected, severely malnourished barely 1 and a half or 2 years old female. She's calm as can be, gentle and quiet and oh so loving. She climbed to perch under my chin from the moment I held her.

We got her back nails trimmed...they were so long that they were actually nearly imbedded, and the nice folks at the store helped get a lot of the dead shed off of her. She was literally covered in shed.

The true extent of the horror of her condition became apparent when we got home and I got her in a warm bath. Her jaw is deformed from what looks like injury due to hitting against a cage. The people at the pet store checked her mouth, and she can eat, she's just got a bad underbite and irritation to her bottom lip.

She's in bad shape. I doubt she is going to survive. THat's not going to stop me from trying, but yeah, she's in bad shape. I'm going to try every food I can think of to get some weight on her, she's got a vet appt. being set up on monday.

I take it as a good sign that she's seeking out warmth, she mouthed some food, and once in a large enclosure, she burrowed right down and is now currently mostly buried in damp bedding.

If nothing else...she'll live a good life while I've got her. I'm going to do my best, but damned if I wasn't livid that she was in this shape! How do you let an animal as intelligent and wonderful as a tegu get like this?

I'm posting pictures I took of her, so you can see for yourself just what sort of condition she is in. [attachment=5158][attachment=5159][attachment=5160][attachment=5161][attachment=5162][attachment=5163]

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3177.jpg
    IMG_3177.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4947.jpg
    IMG_4947.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6276.jpg
    IMG_6276.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 50

Steven.

Wow.. I hope everything works out for her. For what its worth.. Im very proud to have someone like you on this forum. I know you'll do your best.

sent from my phone to your eyes

Logie_Bear

Wow. Just... wow.

I don't think I've ever seen a tegu so thin. I can see her whole skeleton. And all those missing toes is just heart wrenching. :(

Please, please please keep us posted on her progress/ what the vet says. The underbite looks bad, but at least her mouth still closes. Does she tongue flick much, or is she pretty lethargic?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck with her, would really like to see her get into better shape. Keep us posted.

tresh

She's really lethargic...she has only stood up (you know a tegu will puff up, where it arches up on its feet? That, but not with any puffing) twice now...most of the time, when I start petting her, she just lays completely flat. She is currently in an enclosure without the lid on it...she shows no interest in even trying to jump or move around. She just burrowed down and that's where she has stayed.

She does flick her tongue some, but as of yet, she's got no interest in any sort of fluids. Tommorrow, after she's had a night to rest, I'm going to try both giving her a sort of meat-slushy made with ground up chicken organs and blood and eggs, which has always been a treat that my other tegu has loved.

I do need some advice...should I force her to take fluids? I think she's just too weak right now to even try to eat...but should I treat her like a baby animal and get a food dropper and try that?

Logie_Bear

tresh said:
en a treat that my other tegu has loved.

I do need some advice...should I force her to take fluids? I think she's just too weak right now to even try to eat...but should I treat her like a baby animal and get a food dropper and try that?

I would wait till tomorrow and see how she does with eating on her own. If she goes for it, I wouldnt force fluids on her. If not, then I would definitely try some pedialyte.

Also if she's having issues eating because of the overbite, perhaps some really mushy baby food (with vit/calc added in) would work as something easy for her to eat?

Do you have a nice warm light for her?

tresh

Oh yes...my other tegu is currently hibernating, so she's not using the 'good heat lamp' at hte moment. I have two heat lamps, one of a lower wattage that I keep set up for the hibernating tegu.

I can take pictures of the enclosure that this new girl is in, if you like. She's got several basking rocks, good strong heat source, and a humidifier set up.

I am worried that yeah, that jaw is causing her issues. She definitely tried to mouth the meat I tried to feed her, I held it with tongs and she attempted to take it...but she spat it back out a moment later...so I'm thinking some ground up meat bites also might work.

larissalurid

tresh said:
Oh yes...my other tegu is currently hibernating, so she's not using the 'good heat lamp' at hte moment. I have two heat lamps, one of a lower wattage that I keep set up for the hibernating tegu.

I can take pictures of the enclosure that this new girl is in, if you like. She's got several basking rocks, good strong heat source, and a humidifier set up.

I am worried that yeah, that jaw is causing her issues. She definitely tried to mouth the meat I tried to feed her, I held it with tongs and she attempted to take it...but she spat it back out a moment later...so I'm thinking some ground up meat bites also might work.

Yea I'd try the ground up meat bites. Then it'll be mushy and hopefully easy enough to get down and make it very tiny pieces she can just swallow. Poor girl....that's just so sad and aggravating :[ I really hope she does well and gets better.

tresh

That's what I'm hoping. Tommorrow, after she's slept for awhile, I'm going to get her back out and try everything I can with her. I've got a blender, I'll blend it all up and feed her a little at a time.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
You are great person for.this thanx person u got.the Tegu from.should be ashamed and arrested I wish u the best pray and keep fighting

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Ujarak

I have a male b/w that was much the same situation. Luckily after some good heat i was able to get him to eat. His jaw is messed up too and to help him i made bite sizes meatballs and fed him with a fork. After a few weeks he was able to do it on his own

tresh

This morning she ate a single chicken heart from the tongs...I could see her struggling to chew, so yeah, she's got something wrong with her jaw. But the fact that she ate that chicken heart...that tells me she's hungry, and she has some will to survive left. So today I'm going to mix all that mix together and use a baby medicine syringe to just keep trying to get fluids and nutrition into her.

There is no emergency reptile vet around here...I did check, and I called the two emergency vets around here...neither is equipped to deal with a sick tegu...so no matter what I do, she has to survive until I can get her to the vet that I see tommorrow.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Don't lose hope! Find the thread on here named "kinky, the blue tegu" and Kinky the Tegu fb page, that tegu was just as thin, if not thinner than this gal and hes making a remarkable recovery. Its amazing what they can pull through! I just took in a rescue red as well thats in pretty bad shape, although not skinny like this one, but has bad MBD and stunted growth...
Please keep us updated and i'll keep my fingers crossed that she makes a full recovery. I think you will have more (or less) hope once shes seen by a vet and you see what they say. Bless you for taking her in!

Orion

5 Year Member
It breaks my heart eveytime I see something like this. Keep faith. She has gone this long and is in good spirits and still has a will to hang on judging by the fact she is trying to eat. I would try an eye dropper with water or pediaylite to get her hydrated. I have had some sick Tegus before and had to spoon feed them.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I bet she can recover pretty well. The jaw is likely a result of poor calcium/D3 rather than an injury. Jaw softening is pretty common since that is one of the first places the body goes to get the calcium it needs to function properly. Of course, I am not a vet, and a vet would be so much more helpful. Here's some suggestions though:

1. Get some fluid in her, whether it be water, pedialyte...orally or in a soak.

2. Give her some soft food to eat at first like chicken baby food, egg, finely chopped ground turkey or beef. Try some chopped fruit, too. It will give her some fluid, fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients.

3. She badly needs calcium. If you get a small jar of baby food, put a 1/4 teaspoon of powdered calcium w Vit D in it. There is also liquid Calcium Gluconate that you can get at some stores.

4. She needs Vit D to use the calcium. Natural sunshine is best. If she can get outside for 30min daily of unfiltered or min 1/4" mesh screen, that would be best. Next best would be a MVB UVB source. It wouldn't hurt her to have calcium w D in it for a week or so.

5. Of course, proper temps and all. :)

tresh

I've got the vitamin supplement, I've been dusting the chicken livers with it. She's eaten a total of 3 chicken livers this morning, and she's out of her little burrow and laying under the heat lamp. The type of heat lamp I have is an exo-terra solar glow 125 w.

She seems to be enjoying laying where she's laying right now...between the heat lamp and the humidifier (repti-fogger humidifier, currently set on full-blast since it seems to make her happy). So she's got herself a nice hot moist little setup going on.

She definitely showed some will to survive though! She was yanking those livers off the tongs, but after she dropped one she didn't want anymore to do with the food. So...at least she's getting a tiny amount of nutrition in her.

And she's got a facebook now, Ember the Tegu, so I can keep people up to date on her progress.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980