• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New with a gold tegu.

Miranda2

Hello, Im new here and just took in a gold tegu. I had an argentine years ago, he was a monster but quite a great pet. Anyway I am unsure if I am keeping him yet.But in the mean time I want to train him. He was fed live mice in his tank before and is now assumes everything coming near the tank is food.
Im hoping to try and use target training to calm his food rampage so I can clean and water him without risk to myself.
He is friendly once out of the cage, Ive only been able to pick him up when he is cool, in the mornings but he seems quite curious once out.

Has anyone clicker trained or target trained a teguixin?

Miranda2

He actually is very calm once he is picked up. Its just his insane feeding response. The former owners must have thought it was funny to make him leap up to grab his food(they fed him live mice). And he is always hungry so makes it hard to train him. I cant get a bowl in the cage without him knocking out of my gloved hand. He grabs anything coming into his cage and he is so darn fast he can bite 5 different things before I finally get him to bite the actual food.( I feed a variety and thawed mice with hemostats)
But It seems I can only handle him at night when he is sleepy. then its no problem picking him up

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you slip a bowl of food in there when he's asleep???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980