• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to tegu(s)

Crysslynn

Okay im picking up my baby columbian tegu tomorrow. I have had reptiles forever but never a tegu. ive read up and know the "by the book" basics. but i was wondering if i could get some first hand advice from tegu owners over anything you beliieve could help someone out who is new to tegus

Rebecca Stout

Freeze your food weeks or even months in advace (if you are not using only a frozen whole prey diet). Buy all your stuff (Ground turkey, innards, fish, etc), make a sort of chunky salad, and portion it out to single servings in baggies. Put all the little baggies in a big baggy for the fridge (or box). Of course until you see how much your tegu wants to eat in a sitting for a bit you should wait on it. I had a general idea within a week. When you need to feed, remove from freezer, put in a pot of hot water with a small lid weighing it down so its submerged and leave for a while. It'll thaw. I even freeze my fruits and take them out as needed because a) where I live its hard to get fruit that doesnt spoil right off and b) just way more convenient.

I'm sure you might have read this a hundred times. Start working on your huge enclosure if you haven't already. Either get it bought, or start buying your supplies and gathering them up for when it's needed even if you don't build now.

Im new too, so I don't have much advice lol

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us!
Good advice to freeze your tegu's food in advance...
You can portion things out and then just thaw a little bit at a time.
Let us know what other specific questions you have and we will answer them the best we can! :)

Rebecca Stout

I just learned that using 2x2's for the frame of your enclosure is possible. It doesnt "have" to be 2x4's unless you want it solid like furniture. And I learned today there is such a thing as 2x3's. That sounds about perfect if you are worried about weight on a second story home. Oh yeah, thats my other advice. Don't stress over it like I did. I had a conniption for weeks and couldn't sleep at nights worrying about the weight on a second story. I'm still concerned but not freaked out since I got advice here about "weight bearing walls" etc.

MakeyourIPATH

When it comes to handling your tegu, be very patient, Never reach over them, they might think your prey and attack or worse run off and hit their face, you don't want that, could cause deformity. Also I try not to grab my tegu, I feel like they lose trust. I usually scoop him up with my hand majority of the time it works, but as soon as he jumps off and runs to the other side of the enclosure, I let him be. The reason is he runs over there for safety and his aggressiveness increase's. When that happens just let him/her chill. Give about 20 to 30 mins and start over. He will eventually come around....some ppl put clothing in the enclosure never tried it, I guess so they can pick up your scent. Other than that, I'm still learning as well, just want to share that, hope it helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 18

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu