• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Owner

CaesarTheTegu

So about a week ago I purchased my first argentine tegu. He/she is still to young to be sexed but I have 2 major questions. 1: Is it normal that my tegu buries itself and stays buried for hours? I know they hibernate but is mine just doing this because of the new environment? And 2: my tegu took one bite of a mashed up banana and ate nothing else. Everyday I try to feed something new but he/she seems uninterested. Any help would be great :)
image.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Give him/her a hotspot with UV and a cool area that has a retreat. If he mostly avoids the hotspot, then the little fella's trying to brumate. Most important at that time is access to drinking water. Even when they're active for the summer, they're not out all day. It's eyes look clear. It's a cutie. Good luck with your new pal.

Jackie & Hellboy

Just because he is brumating, don't turn off his basking lamp because he may still come out to bask a bit here and there to keep digesting and keep his body running while sleeping. Burrowing is quite normal and is actually beneficial to their health because they need high humidity and a deep substrate helps this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu