• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu owner from the Great White North

Khoilie

hey guys. I've been pretty busy since about christmas when i decided i wanted to own a tegu.
My friend and I went into a reptile specialty store in my home town Hamilton, Ontario and i fell in love with this badass looking red Tegu. So i went back the next day and bought him. I brought him home, baby proofed my bedroom and gave him free range for a few days while i built his enclosure.

His cage 62"Long x 25"Wide x 24"tall. Main structure is 5/8" particle board, front trim is 1"x3" pine, doors are 1"x1" cedar and plexiglass. I wired up 2 standard home lighting fixtures, light switch and I used a Husky tool replacement chord for power from the wall so its a plug and play set-up, not tapped into my home wiring. I caulked all the joints on the inside and sealed the wood with white malamine paint. exterior is just generic black paint from local hardware store. Im using a 50w infrared Zoo-Med heat lamp for his basking spot which is a steady 90F and a 13w Repti.Glo 10.0 compact for UVB. Theres four 1.5" ventillation holes equally spaced along the top, back board about 3" from the top Substrate is cypress mulch i believe the guy at the reptile store said, his pool is a (new) kitty litter box lol, and he even got a "Dog Whisperer" food bowl and a few pieces of cork bark.

Im happy to announce he finally ate for the 1st time today since i got him. hes been pretty stressed and angry, destroying his setup everyday, flipping the bark over, filling his food bowl with mulch, smashing his head of the glass and refusing to be held. I figured out it was because of the temperature, it was waaaay too hot for him with the 100w heat bulb, 120+F in his basking spot and about 80F on cool side. now its down to 90 and 75 and hes happy as a pig in ****. He ate 2 servings of lean ground turkey and a hard-boiled egg after refusing to even acknowledge food for about 2 weeks.

enough of all the reading right? heres some pics and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions about my tegu or setup

photo.jpg

baskin.jpg

003-1.jpg

bath-1.jpg

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have any better pics of him? Is he a Colombian? I would recommend getting a MVB or tube style bulb for UVB. The coils have been known to cause eye problems and UVB output isn't that great.

Khoilie

im not really sure what the yellow is about, maybe someone here can help with that. i like to think its just cuz hes a super awesome sunburst tegu lol. the pictures do no justice tho, he is really really red. most ive seen on the web are more brownish or even pink, the dude at the pet store said he'd only seen 1 brighter in his life

Tegu Dude

I have never seen one w yellow, that is amazing! To keep mine from filpping the water, I put a brick/rock in there. Just be sure to put it in the oven for @30 min at 350, just to be sure it is sterile. It really helps them shed also, bc they can rub it while in the water. You need a nice hide in there. I use the black box ones. If you send me a sase I will mail you one for free. If you ever want to sell, keep me in mind, I'd pay $500 today for that awesome gu! My # is 334-730-3584 and my name is Josh Willmore

Khoilie

Tegu Dude said:
I have never seen one w yellow, that is amazing! To keep mine from filpping the water, I put a brick/rock in there. Just be sure to put it in the oven for @30 min at 350, just to be sure it is sterile. It really helps them shed also, bc they can rub it while in the water. You need a nice hide in there. I use the black box ones. If you send me a sase I will mail you one for free. If you ever want to sell, keep me in mind, I'd pay $500 today for that awesome gu! My # is 334-730-3584 and my name is Josh Willmore

thanks Josh, I just got him so i probly wont be selling him anytime soon plus im in Canada so it would probly be alot more to it then just mailing him to u lol.

james mentioned that the compacts arent very good and i have to agree from what ive read online. I have a 4' florecent ballast from my old aquarium setup so i will probly just grab a uvb tube and install it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu