• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu just wants to sleep?

Q41

First some basic info;
-18-20" male b&w arg
- 6×3 enclosure, 1' cypress mulch/peat
- basking site 105-110 cool side 75-80 throughout the day
- Has multiple hides, large water dish and is located in a quiet room away from other pets/people.

Hes been with me for one week and has not eaten just sleeps. I have seen him drink, bask for 5 minutes, then go back to bed. I left him alone for 48hrs then offered an egg which was ignored along with everything else Ive tried.

He does not cower or run from me, but when he is out he will walk around for a couple minutes then go to sleep in my shirt, or in a corner, really anywhere warm and dark. He has not pooped or eaten anything, and Im leaving him alone apart from offering food. Could being shipped from a warm climate to a cold one overnight be enough to send him into hibernation or is this just a normal adjustment period? He is alert and inquisitive while awake but isnt awake unless I get him up apart from the one time I caught him drinking and basking. Am I just stressing out over nothing?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First some basic info;
-18-20" male b&w arg
- 6×3 enclosure, 1' cypress mulch/peat
- basking site 105-110 cool side 75-80 throughout the day
- Has multiple hides, large water dish and is located in a quiet room away from other pets/people.

Hes been with me for one week and has not eaten just sleeps. I have seen him drink, bask for 5 minutes, then go back to bed. I left him alone for 48hrs then offered an egg which was ignored along with everything else Ive tried.

He does not cower or run from me, but when he is out he will walk around for a couple minutes then go to sleep in my shirt, or in a corner, really anywhere warm and dark. He has not pooped or eaten anything, and Im leaving him alone apart from offering food. Could being shipped from a warm climate to a cold one overnight be enough to send him into hibernation or is this just a normal adjustment period? He is alert and inquisitive while awake but isnt awake unless I get him up apart from the one time I caught him drinking and basking. Am I just stressing out over nothing?
Don't sweat it. In Miami, they're only now just starting to rouse from their winter nap since Oct-Nov. Toss a recently-worn shirt in his hide box for familiarity.

Mine also come from Rodney. Going on 3 yrs. Two of them have been coming out a short bit each day. The third hasn't been out since early last November.

Q41

Don't sweat it. In Miami, they're only now just starting to rouse from their winter nap since Oct-Nov. Toss a recently-worn shirt in his hide box for familiarity.

Mine also come from Rodney. Going on 3 yrs. Two of them have been coming out a short bit each day. The third hasn't been out since early last November.

Thanks for the quick reply, I feel better about the situation now.

Thank you it's good to know, I was hopeful that was the case. Im going to leave him be and let him do his thing, tough as that is lol. I have wanted a Tegu since I was a kid and 14 years later here we are.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick reply, I feel better about the situation now.

Thank you it's good to know, I was hopeful that was the case. Im going to leave him be and let him do his thing, tough as that is lol. I have wanted a Tegu since I was a kid and 14 years later here we are.
Glad to be of help. Keep updating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980