• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tank build

Mdority51

So I’m building 2 new tanks (8x4x4)for our Tegus. Question is about heating on their basking spot. I’ve seen all types of temp from 98 degrees all the way to 130. 1 morning s right at a year old and the other is about 9 months old. Gonna be running electrical this weekend and needing to know how many heat lamps I’m gonna need. Thanks for any help

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
My male and female are about the same age as yours, I have only one lamp on them in there individual enclosures. I use the Solarglo 160w it has UVA & UVB. I set it up about 10 inches from their basking spot and get surface readings of 110.IMO, If I were you and I could do it all over again. I would setup multiple light fixtures for expansion but only install one light and add more as needed. It's good to have UVB but too much can be a bad thing as well.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would probably add one light fixture on each side personally. That allows for some expansion and adjustment even though you dont need to use both at once.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Young bask at 80-100dg, subadults at 100-110dg, and adults should be at a minimum 115dg, but can go up to 130dg. I personally have my 4 yr old male at about 120-125dg. He's large, and seems to do well there. The higher you go, the harder it is to give them their cool area of around 70dg. I feel like I fought that for quite awhile when I first started. In the end, I put up a smaller enclosure of 5x3x3 for the cool area, where he just walks through a tunnel to go chill in. I'm finally happy with that!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long