• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New friend:)

Thisguy12

Me and my wife just bought a golden tegu she was cheep because she's very aggressive :)a plus for us wwe've been through the taming process already with duke our 3 year old BnW arg
She's already gotten better in the week we've had her :)
Anyone have tips or goldens don't know if there much different that BnWs I've just read there more aggressive witch I think is true so far .
Well should be fun she's un named at the moment but were working on
It

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's not that they are aggressive, but more defensive. They are smaller lizards that are often prey for other animals. When you think of it that way, you can see why they are faster, jump more, and resist handling. So if you think in terms of what scares prey animals, you can also avoid movements that would scare the tegu.

I keep mine warmer overall than the Argentines, but with a lower basking temperature. So it is 80 on the cool side, 90 warm side, with a basking temp of 105. Same deal with a good UVB and calcium on all foods without bones. Humidity at 60-80% and lots of water.

As for feeding, a lot of people think Colombians are strict carnivores, but many people I know feed their Colombians fruit. mine love blueberries, mango, papaya, grapes, banana, peaches. They also eat F/T rodents, ground turkey, and ground lean beef, fish fillet, chicken fillet. I feed them egg once in a while, but usually save that for picky times. Colombians love egg and can get stuck on that for a while.

Some get stressed easily by change. My male could care less, but my female would wig out for a week if we moved her enclosure to a different spot in the house. Good luck with yours! I like the color of the goldens.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I have a Colombian black and white (same species as the golden, just different colors) named Kodo who is just a doll. He is very docile and friendly, although he was labeled as an Argentine in the store where I bought him so I was taming him accordingly. If you can tame an Argentine tegu, which it seems you have, you'll be fine. However, I have been talking to a lot of people and Kodo seems a lot more people-friendly (and dog-friendly) than many other Colombians. I handle him every day (minimum just to be fed and have a poop) and basically treat him like a mammalian pet. They are very alert, inquisitive, and intelligent. When they're small they're primarily insectivorous but once they start getting older they prefer vertebrate meat. Kodo has shown no interest in eating fruit (although he does like cheesecake), but it couldn't hurt to offer it to your tegu. I have Kodo on a diet of gizzards, stew beef, chicken livers, silversides, snails, mice, and rats and according to the vet is very healthy; this list is to be expanded upon ion the future. Variety is the key to balanced nutrition and keeping your tegu from turning into a fussy eater. I wouldn't recommend live feeding, as it creates a risk of injury and I have found having to kill makes reptiles more aggressive. Kodo loves to splay out on the basking rocks under his Power Sun bulb, especially after a meal, so I would strongly encourage investing in some. Please post some pics when you get a chance and keep us updated on your progress. Welcome aboard! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont