• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New enclosure, new attitude

jaypops

Hello everyone,

So I moved Mushu into his new large enclosure, but now it's like i have a whole new tegu. He's terrified all the time. When he just sees me he runs and hides under his water bin. He used to never mind the site of me, and would crawl up my arm when he was in his old enclosure. Now I can hardly get near him. He's about 7 months old and 3ft long. I know it's normal for a bit, but it's been over 2 weeks. Should i remove jis water bin while he's in his burrow at night so when he does wake up he can't run to the other side of the enclosure to the water bin?

jaypops

That's what i figured. I put a shirt in before and he'd still take off. He knows my smell, but is frightened when i walk in or make a sudden move. I got close enough for him to smell me then he completely mellowed out, kind of had the "hey i know you" attitude. But back to being frightened the next day :-(

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long has he been in the new enclosure? You've got to remember to give him time to get settled in. Rome wasn't built overnight! Just be patient and keep working with him. Make sure he's comfortable inside the enclosure. Be sensitive to his responses to you. If he seems particularly grumpy (from shedding or anything else) put him in this enclosure and leave him be. Don't cause him any undue stress. Be a source of comfort and warmth and you'll see his behavior start to change. Keep us updated on how things progress, please! :)

jaypops

He has been in approximately 3 weeks now. I might just remove his water bin and put in a regular bowl for a couple of weeks so he can't just go under there when I walk into the room. Yesterday I was able to pet him and stuff, but as soon as I tried to pick him up to put him in my sweater, he freaked and did a death roll, so I put him back and he went to the other end of the enclosure. I guess it's just taking more time because he's sleeps a couple days, then wakes up for a few hours and so forth; might be brumation. He's already 7 months old, and I'm afraid he won't have that wanting to be near me attitude :( thanks for your response :)

jaypops

How long has he been in the new enclosure? You've got to remember to give him time to get settled in. Rome wasn't built overnight! Just be patient and keep working with him. Make sure he's comfortable inside the enclosure. Be sensitive to his responses to you. If he seems particularly grumpy (from shedding or anything else) put him in this enclosure and leave him be. Don't cause him any undue stress. Be a source of comfort and warmth and you'll see his behavior start to change. Keep us updated on how things progress, please! :)
He has been in approximately 3 weeks now. I might just remove his water bin and put in a regular bowl for a couple of weeks so he can't just go under there when I walk into the room. Yesterday I was able to pet him and stuff, but as soon as I tried to pick him up to put him in my sweater, he freaked and did a death roll, so I put him back and he went to the other end of the enclosure. I guess it's just taking more time because he's sleeps a couple days, then wakes up for a few hours and so forth; might be brumation. He's already 7 months old, and I'm afraid he won't have that wanting to be near me attitude :(

thanks for your response :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu