• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Colombian B&W Concerns and Questions

Jacob Durant

Hello, new to the forum and to the tegu world essentially. I've always wanted one and finally made it happen. I've owned ball, burmese pythons, bull snakes. But this is my first lizard. They seem more personable and lively imo. But anyways i purchased me a hatchling colombian b&w tegu from a pet shop here in homewood, al. with a 20 gallon starter aquarium and all the essentials for $120 which i didnt think was too bad. so now i've had him for about 2 weeks. which imo is enough time for "dozer" to become accustomed to the new enviroment and calm down. i use coconut husk as bedding, sufficiently deep enough to burrow in.. which is where he is right now and most of the time for that matter. ive got a daytime basking light and a nighttime infra"blue" heat light i assume you could call it. no uvb lighting yet, but take him outside in natural sunlight daily and soak him in the tub with warm water daily. i handle him daily, he's not too flighty.. getting better too. but my concerns are that if i dont physically pull him out of the bedding i wouldnt see him for days probably. and i have only seen him eat a couple times. i personally think i scare the heck out of him. while in my hand very rarely moves.. i feed him flukers predusted crickets. chicken gizzards dusted with calcium supplement, eggs occasionally, mealworms dusted. but imo he just doesnt have much of an appetite. it concerns me and his innactivity. im sure he didnt get cared the best for before i got my hands on him. i plan on posting pictures of my setup tomarrow. but was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has had one with similar behaviors. is is my care that is causing this or the lizard? anyways thanks for taking the time to read this looong post.

MakeyourIPATH

Well I think your doing a good job, as far as for temp, not to sure you never mentioned. Well raausti( my tegu) borrows for most of the day so I let him do his thing, I believe it helps with his shedding, but the next morning I'll turn on his heatlamp and uvb, then within 20 to 30mins he'll be out of his borrow. At first he was having a hard time shed, then I just left him in his burrow without disturbing, and theses were the results. As you can see all the the skin to your right corner
image.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu