• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Baby RTB

Nero

5 Year Member
Hey guys I got a new baby RTB on friday. How high should the humidity be? some people say 40-50 others say 60-70. Right now I have it set around 50%. This is my first Boa so I kinda wanna do it right. I have 2 hide boxes for him but he seems to hang out on his perch a lot. Im using jungle bed substrate for now. Any good pointers out there?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I use pine shavings for mine. I keep a big water bowl in with them. I use UTH and I spray them down 2 to 3 times a day when they are shedding . Or once a day when not shedding . Mainly at night. I feed mine atleast every 7 days . I also handle them daily . Other than that that's about it.

Nero

5 Year Member
THanks I pretty much have the same stuff you have other than a different substrate. Ive handled him a few times already doesnt seem to mind it I feed him last night so i'll probably leave him alone for a few days.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
OOH not pine! Maybe aspen. We used CareFresh bedding but with the outbreak of mites we've changed all of the snakes over to paper towels.

I cover most of the top with aluminum foil to hold in the humidity and the water bowl partially over the UTH to add humidity. I never have to mist and maintain 60% humidity all the time. Mist once a day when shedding to get 70-75% humidity.

Are you feeding in the tank?? If so, the wooden substrate could be an ingestion problem. We feed all of our snakes in a separate container.

What are you keeping him in? What are the temps? How are you measuring them?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I have used pine for 10 years with out any problems. And a big boa would cost a fortune to keep paper towels. Might as well start them what you plan to use.
Also what is it with you and tin foil. I guess duct tape is another of your tools of the trade. Maybe even super glue.
You do make several good points. But pine doesn't hurt them not one bit.If your gonna put something over the top of your cage. Atleast use ply wood or paneling or even plexi glass. But the foil just seems a little too cheap.

Nero

5 Year Member
I keep the hot side at around 88-92 the old side stays in the low 80s. I'm using a digital thermometer and i have a UTH as well. I feed all my reps outside their tank in another tank except my tegu he still wont eat outiside his tank ive tried for 2 months. So far the RTB has been pretty chill hasnt got frantic or defensive yet but its only been a few days

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
Also what is it with you and tin foil. I guess duct tape is another of your tools of the trade. Maybe even super glue.
You do make several good points. But pine doesn't hurt them not one bit.If your gonna put something over the top of your cage. Atleast use ply wood or paneling or even plexi glass. But the foil just seems a little too cheap.
How did you know??!! I put black duct tape over the aluminum foil to make it look more professional and to keep it from getting damaged. Then it doesn't look cheap. Plexiglas is very expensive.

I've read pine & cedar aren't good for reptiles, something about the oils are toxic, but I think that must more apply to cedar. Our 5.5ft Dumeril is in a 75G so I only use 8 sheets of paper towels. Once she gets into a 7ft x 3ft we'll have to do something different. The worst thing about paper towels is there is no spot cleaning, all of it must be replaced.

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah im not a bad fan of the paper towel thing once one is defecated on they all gotta go out. I'm not even a big fan of newspaper either cause the ink could rub off on them as well. I use to use paper towels for my bearded dragon but it was a hassle. So im just using rep carpet and I just change it everday other da and replace it with a another while the other is being cleaned and sanatized.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nero said:
Yeah im not a bad fan of the paper towel thing once one is defecated on they all gotta go out. I'm not even a big fan of newspaper either cause the ink could rub off on them as well. I use to use paper towels for my bearded dragon but it was a hassle. So im just using rep carpet and I just change it everday other da and replace it with a another while the other is being cleaned and sanatized.
We're having a problem with mites, so I have to use paper towels until they're gone.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I don't have problems with mites. The oils in cedar are bad for them. But pine is perfectly safe.Most pine shavings have been cooked to dry them out and release most of the oils inside them. I use the ones made for horses. $6.00 a bag is not bad for all the substrate you can use for months.With pine you can put Sevin dust in the bottom of the cage and then cover it with the shavings and your mite problem would be gone soon. Diatomatious earth also works in the same manner. Place it under your substrate. I also feed all my animals in the cage that they stay in all the time.I still haven't figured out why people feed reptiles in separate cages unless you have more than one snake in the enclosure. If you only have one snake it doesn't make sense to feed them in another cage. Are you afraid of getting bit or something.It can't be because it is healthy for the snake. Because it doesn't make any difference where they eat . Health wise. It must be a fear thing is all I can figure. I'm glad I'm not afraid of my snakes.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We got the mites from the last snake we bought. We transferred them by handling (they're in 3 different rooms). So we're treating all of them. Annoying little buggers!!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey Wes!! How do you heat your snake cages?

I use a combination of UTH and CHE/night time bulb to increase the ambient temp. The problem with using a particle type substrate with a UTH is if the snake pushes it around it exposes the higher temp on the bottom of the enclosure. I normally have a temp probe (and thermostat probe) under the substrate and keep it in the low 100's. On top of the substrate it'll be upper 80's to low 90's. But if they move the substrate they're laying on low 100's. I've thought about using radiant heat panels or Kane heat pads with no substrate.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
100 to 120 degree temps will not burn the snake. My snakes seldom use the whole heat spot. They lay more around the edges of the heat spot. I use different stuff. I use Red heat lights, heat Rocks ( yes I hear it a no no, but I cover them with fabric and have no trouble using them), under tank heat. I also only cool my house to 80 degrees and that way my temps stay good no matter what. In the summer time my snakes go outside and I use no heat at all. Just what ever the temps outside are. When the temps go over 95 i don't feed until night time. Other than that. That's about all I do.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
100 to 120 degree temps will not burn the snake.
That's good to know.

Harveysherps said:
My snakes seldom use the whole heat spot. They lay more around the edges of the heat spot.
Ours do the same!

Harveysherps said:
I use different stuff. I use Red heat lights, heat Rocks ( yes I hear it a no no, but I cover them with fabric and have no trouble using them), under tank heat. I also only cool my house to 80 degrees and that way my temps stay good no matter what.
I like the way you said COOL the house to 80 degrees. We do the same during the summer months but we only heat to 70 during the winter. Then additional heat bulbs or higher wattage is required.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I keep mine 80 all year round. I like to make sure the room my snakes are in is at a good low side temp. The only time I cool them down any is when I am breeding them. Then I cool them down. I am really beginning to rethink the whole winter thing. I have been considering doing my boas the way Tegus hibernate. But just not for as long. I see so many boa breeders with so many slugs in the litters they are having. I think lack of hibernation may be a a cause of this. I think they may need to cool down and sleep for a while to help with maturing and egg production. The snakes I have now haven't hibernated really but they did slow down some this winter. My snakes get a natural day cycle. No artificial lighting at all. I have done all kinds of different things with them. They are very adaptable to all kinds of different conditions. I've tried them all. LOL

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We don't use artificial light with our snakes either. Some get a night time bulb for additional heat, but it is barely noticeable. Our reptiles are all over the house (in cages!) so we can't afford to heat the whole house to 80 degrees in the winter.

I like the "I beat anorexia" avatar you put back up. As long as people realize it's not you.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never used pine shavings for snakes, but I know a bunch of breeders and keepers that do. I do use pine shavings for my rodents and have for many years. I have never had any problems related to this, but cedar is a no, no. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus