• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby Columbian Black & White (Marley)

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2957&p=35277&hilit=columbian+tegu#p35277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2957&p=35277&hilit=columbian+tegu#p35277</a><!-- l -->

There are 2 distinctly colored types of columbians(columbian gold and columbian black) but I believe they're both still called Tupinambis teguixin, maybe just different locales like the argentine B&W and extreme/chacoan giants.

BTW, grats on your new tegu!!

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Bryan A said:
So then what you are saying is that all of the pics on the internet or in books that clearly show a definite difference in coloration between what is called a Columbian Black&White or a Columbian Black & Gold or a Gold Tegu are labeled incorrectly in stating that the picture shows one or the other.

What I'm saying is that a colombian tegu is a colombian tegu. The end.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What I'm saying is that a colombian tegu is a colombian tegu. The end.

Whether or not the tegu was columbian was never an issue, he labeled it as such when the thread was started. I don't see the big deal in calling it black and white or black or gold or black and gold, so long as people know what they're getting and are prepared to take care of their GU as the OP seems to fulfill both these criteria I say let it go.

The only thing that irks me is when stores label their tegus straight by the colors without adding columbian or argentine. They either don't know the difference or are trying to pull a fast one on some unwary customer by jacking up the price on a $15 wholesale lizard, neither of which are good sales practices in my book.

G

JohnMatthew said:
http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2957&p=35277&hilit=columbian+tegu#p35277

There are 2 distinctly colored types of columbians(columbian gold and columbian black) but I believe they're both still called Tupinambis teguixin, maybe just different locales like the argentine B&W and extreme/chacoan giants.

BTW, grats on your new tegu!!

Thanks, for the congrats. I was never trying to say that they are two totally different species. I agree it is another example of two different locales, like Argentine Black & Whites and Blues, are they both not called Tupinambis merianae, yet vary in color greatly, in a few studies the blues are even listed as a possible locale of the Columbians, from what I have read.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
OK...I'll let it rest. Maybe there are black and golds and black and whites...my bad. However, from your pics, wouldn't you say that yours is a black and gold? Those are definitely the colors that I'm seeing in the body. What makes yours a black and white?

By the way, congrats on not only getting a 'gu, but a HANDLEABLE 'gu! That's rad.

G

Thanks, I will post some more pics of closeups of his sides and tail to show the white. From the top he does show the gold coloring, but on the sides and belly there is mostly white and black. I can even see where the gold looks like it is fading into white.

G

I am not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I did a lot of reading and research before I decided to get the Columbian versus the Argentine Black & White. Here is what I have seen from different pics of columbian tegus and from the reading that I have done.

The ones called Black & Whites, as young start out with a gold or brown striping or coloring on the head and backs fading into primarily black and white on the sides and belly, down to the base of the tail, further down the tail there is distinct black and white stripes and no brown or gold coloring. As they age the brown or gold usually fades away and leaves black and white stripes or spotting with little to no gold coloring left. The Black and White Columbians also have narrower striping that on some animals looks more like spots or broken stripes. Similar color changing to the Argentine Black & whites that start out with bright green heads that fade away with age.

On the other hand the ones referred to as gold tegus or Black & Gold columbians start out with gold or brown and black being the main colors with very little to no white. The stripes or spots are also more defined and wider than the ones on the Black & white columbians. The coloring tends to not fade as much as they age compared to the Black & White Columbians.
Below are some pics that I found on the internet.
Columbian Black & White Tegus
Baby
ColumbianBlackWhite2.jpg

Adult
ColumbianBlackWhite.jpg

Gold Tegus
Baby
GoldTeguBaby.jpg

Adult
GoldTegu3.jpg

G

Really, it all comes down to this...

Let's say you have two identical 1996 Toyota Tacomas. One is white, the other is green. Are they two different trucks? No. They're both 1996 Toyota Tacomas. Just a different color.

It's the same with Columbian Tegus. Black and Gold/Black/Gold/Black and White... it's doesn't make a freakin' bit of difference; they're all Tupinambis Teguixin. What people fail to remember at times, is that this is a polymorphic species we're talking about; there are going to be differences in coloring. Until scientific discovery proves that a Columbian "Black and White" is a different species from a Columbian "Black and Gold" (such as what was done with the Argentine B/W and the Argentine Red), then this whole discussion is a moot point.

I'm just happy for you that you've gotten a healthy reptile that you love. Congrats!! He looks amazing!!

G

nordica said:
Really, it all comes down to this...

Let's say you have two identical 1996 Toyota Tacomas. One is white, the other is green. Are they two different trucks? No. They're both 1996 Toyota Tacomas. Just a different color.

It's the same with Columbian Tegus.

Thats exactly what I was saying. Its simply a color difference. No reason you can't separate them by color!

G

I was trying to say they are just different colors also, not that they are 2 different species.

Stef41

I purchased a Columbian Tegu at a local reptile expo a while back. I fell vicitim to the "Black and White Tegu" confusion...he looked so similar to the Tegu's I'd researched.

After I got him home however, I realized he wasn't exactly like the "pictures" I'd seen, so I investigated and sure enough he was a Columbian!

He was sweet as could be...he would let me hold him, pet him, etc. And I held him VERY often, he was my little buddy.

After awhile however, his temperment started to shift and he began to live up to the "aggressive" nature people often associate with Columbians. Luckily I had a good friend near by that was actually looking for a Columbian and had experience with them, so he adopted my little guy.

Jeff (the friend that adopted my Tegu) has quite of bit of experience with Columbians and claims every Columbian he's ever gotten as a hatchling started out nice and relaxed...and it wasn't until later that things change.

Obviously that is not the case with ALL Columbians, and I've heard the few sucess stories as far as taming, but as it pertains to my personal experience...the little guy started out great, but definitely didn't remain that way.

It was unfortunate, because he was gorgeous and very interesting.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since the vast majority of the people here (on this site) have done or are doing their homework, it seems everyone in this conversation has a solid grasp on factual details...

But as we all know, that's nto the case in the 'real world'. Which is why I feel it is important to use consistent termonology that avoids confusion...

For decades Columbia Tegus have been referred to as "Golden Tegus" or "Black and Gold Tegus". It doesn't surprise me one bit that there are locales of Columbians that are "Black and White" in appearance...

But since the nic name "Black and White Tegu" has already been claimed by the Argentina Tegus, I think the hobby would be best served by us not using the term "Black and White Columbians".

I can definitely see where some members are coming from, pointing out that "Black and White" is a very literal descriptioin of their Tegus colors... but again, since that name has already been spoken for, using the same name to describe a somewhat similar but very different animal, will inevitably lead to confusion (and manipulation).

There is no Board of Commissioners on reptile common names, therefore no one is 'right' and no one is 'wrong' in this debate. It's simply a matter of what is best (or better) for the hobby as a whole... and each of us have the right to our opinion on what that is...

Jungle Girl

In my opinion Columbian b/w tegus and Columbian gold tegus, even though they are the same species, are as different as Argentine b/w tegus and Blue tegus. For example they are slight differences in body shape such as Columbian b/w tegus tend to have a broader head, more robust build and they also tend to grow a bit larger than the gold variety. I have owned both types through out the years and every Columbian b/w I have owned end it up being just as tame as the Argentines that I have owned. The Columbian gold tegus on the other hand were extremely aggressive and was not able to be tame down. The Columbian b/w tegus start off with gold coloration down their heads and backs. Much like Argentine b/w tegus start off with green coloration, but both fade to white overtime.The gold tegus on the other hand hatch out with golden colorations and keep it for the rest of their life. I think DNA testing is require to sort out this mess! They are even saying that the "yellow tegu" is actually a form of the red tegu and blended them into one species.

G

do all columbians start out as black as black and gold? because iv seen some that are labeled as black ans gold but were black and white...its confusing.

G

Frost, if you look at reply #28 in this post, I posted a fairly common descriptiton of each color, from what I have read.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029