• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

nesting behavior?

G

So my female tegu has been very busy here as of lately. She has not been with a male that I am aware of in at least 2 months. Also since when I picked her up she has been awake for 12 hours a day so I don't believe she hibernated. She has today, taken almost all of her bedding in her cage and pushed it over to her hide. I haven't been able to find the answer searching on here but my question is... is she building a nest? I am assuming if she does lay they will not be fertile, but should I give her anything else besides they cypress for a nest? Or is she just rearanging? I'm just wondering since she is pushing it all to her hide and doing a lot more than normal when she wants to redecorate.

TheKid12

She is not nesting,Tegu's are not like iguanas when it comes to laying eggs with out a mate,Bobby Hill the owner well administrator of this forum even said it him self,he has never had any females lay eggs with out a mate,

Tegu's as i am sure you know love to burrow and re arrange the enclosure ,she is just fixing it to her liking and building a burrow/ safe hide,she will more than likely just digg in it and sleep,so just leave her be and let the little girly do her thing lol.

Here is a video of what i am sure you are talking about,(Video property of "Isdrake")
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_3e8ozpMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_3e8ozpMM</a><!-- m -->

Just make sure you have enough substrate and never disturb her burrow,thats her place of safety,disturbing the burrow could cause stress and ruin what trust you have established with her already.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu